AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the death of the 1upYours podcast, I have a huge gaping hole in my podcast listening lineup. Looking for suggestions on what to replace 1upYours with. Maybe there is a super awesome gaming podcast out there that I'm not currently listening to.

This is (was) my podcast lineup in order from most enjoyable to somewhat tolerable

1. 1upYours - possibly gone forever?

2. Giant Bomb - in a distant second place from 1upYours

3. Podcast Beyond (IGN PS3 podcast) - somewhat childish, but overall pretty decent

4. GameScoop (IGN) - not that great overall, but ok. Much better when Hilary Goldstein was the main guy (yes, he's named Hilary)

5. Chatterbox (allgames.com) - Pretty decent but the commercial breaks can really kill the flow of a good conversation they have going. (you don't actually hear the commercials, but the breaks disrupt the flow greatly)

6. 1upFM - I actually liked EGM Live more than 1upFM, but they changed it. I was starting to come around to 1upFM just when they decide to fire everybody involved.

7. Gamehounds - very good independent podcast imho

8. retrocity (IGN retro) - I'm a sucker for the old schools

9. Retronauts (1up retro) - see above, not sure if this one will continue

10. 3 Red Lights (IGN Xbox 360) - I used to really like this podcast, primarily because of Hilary Goldstein (suprisingly a dude actually), but they have gotten way too caught up in trying to be funny all the time and rarely even talk about video games anymore.

11. Major Nelson (XBOX 360) - Obviously, he's kinda the official mouthpiece of everything Xbox, so it's not exactly unbiased. But usually pretty decent. Good audio quality.

12. HotSpot (Gamespot) - This podcast used to be second on my list way back in the days when Jeff and everybody else was still at Gamespot. Now it's a shadow of it's former self.

13. Orange Lounge Radio - A very different type of podcast. Runs way too long, and kinda goofy at times. Can be very enjoying at times, but definitely runs way too freaking long.

14. XBL Radio - Not the original XBL Radio dudes, new guys are here, and they are pretty decent. Audio qualtiy can be kinda sketch.

15. Medispective (allgames.com) - Definitely different than your average podcast. Not as much video game content as I would like, but usually pretty interesting and enjoyable. Audio quality is usually kinda lame.

16. Bobby Blackwolf (allgames.com) - this is a one man podcast and one man podcasts are usually pretty freaking terrible, but Bobby does a decent job. Can be a bit boring at times, and usually too focused on all the Gutiar Hero type games

There are alot of other podcasts that I've listed to over the last couple of years, but those are the main ones I try to listen to on a somewhat regular basis. I'm able to hear alot of podcasts while I'm at work. Beats listening to talk radio.

Basically, I'm trying to find a podcast out there that maybe I've never heard of that I should definitely add to my lineup.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm actually a big fan of Invisible Walls on Gametrailers.com. I can't say there aren't times where I find myself screaming at something tremendously stupid that comes out of the host's mouth but for the most part it's fairly entertaining and somewhat informative.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yo' ma-ummmm....I like the P:TOM one...I haven't listen to it though.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I would probably put the CAG cast from cheapassgamer #3 on your list (though that's only having listened to about 2 podcasts. 1Up Yours and Giantbombcast are the best by far, so I guess that means giant bomb is now the best.

*edit: I'd like to recall that recommendation for the CAG cast. It's terrible. Nothing but awkward silences and adolescent body anatomy jokes for 2 hours. CAF Foreplay ironically on the other hand, seems much better.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
I listen(ed) to:

1. Giantbombcast

2. 1UP Yours

3. 1UP Show

4. Invisible Walls

5. Bonus Round

6. Crash TV

7. Podcast BEYOND

8. Game Scoop

9. LAN Party (formerly known as GFW radio)

10. Sports Game Guys Podcast

Those are in no particular order but I enjoy Giantbombcast over 1UP Yours.

·
Registered
859 Posts
O yea forgot about Bonus Round, that's a good one if you don't have a problem with Micheal Pachter. I personally like him, whether I agree with his opinions or not he always comes across as very likable.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/15514504

I listen(ed) to:

1. Giantbombcast

2. 1UP Yours

3. 1UP Show

4. Invisible Walls

5. Bonus Round

6. Crash TV

7. Podcast BEYOND

8. Game Scoop

9. LAN Party (formerly known as GFW radio)

10. Sports Game Guys Podcast

I have an mp3 player I use to listen to my podcasts. I watch the Bonus Round show, and try to catch the 1upShow when I can, (via my Xbox 360 on a thumbdrive), but could I listen to those shows on my regular MP3 player if my mp3 player doesn't do video or anything?

Or are you basically just listing your favorite podcasts whether they are audio/video or audio only? I can really only hear the audio only ones when I'm at work. Which of those other shows you listed are audio only, like Game Scoop and Podcast Beyond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch /forum/post/15514515

O yea forgot about Bonus Round, that's a good one if you don't have a problem with Micheal Pachter. I personally like him, whether I agree with his opinions or not he always comes across as very likable.

The people that talk alot of smack about Michael Pachter need to be slapped. Dude is a very nice guy, and he doesn't pretend to know everything. He freely admits that he's very wrong on many of his predicitons. I've seen him on Bonus Round many times, and always enjoy seeing him there. I have no problems with him. Sure, he makes alot of predictions, and alot of them end up being wrong, but big freaking deal.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/15514504

I listen(ed) to:

1. Giantbombcast (audio)

2. 1UP Yours (audio)

3. 1UP Show (video)

4. Invisible Walls (video)

5. Bonus Round (video)

6. Crash TV (video)

7. Podcast BEYOND (audio)

8. Game Scoop (audio)

9. LAN Party (formerly known as GFW radio) (audio)

10. Sports Game Guys Podcast (audio)

I would think that you'd be able to listen to the video podcasts. I forget how I used to do it before I had an iPhone.

PS

A few of us AVS-ers will be doing our own podcast soon enough. We'll give you and everyone else an update as soon as we absolutely finalize everything (other than the weather). Right Kess?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/15515351

PS

A few of us AVS-ers will be doing our own podcast soon enough. We'll give you and everyone else an update as soon as we absolutely finalize everything (other than the weather). Right Kess?

I look forward to it. As long as you aren't screaming into the mic for an hour, laughing at inside jokes, singing horrible songs, and you actually talk about games at some point, you'll be better than the IGN podcasts.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I used to listen to a lot of gaming podcasts, but now I pretty much only listen to the Joystiq Podcast, mainly because I get their humor and enjoy it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've recently started listening to The Target Demographic . They're a little more broad than just video games (they talk about movies and music as well).

As Major Nelson was listed in the original post, I also listen to the Official Xbox Magazine (OXM) podcast.

Sarcastic Gamer can be amusing at times. One of their podcasts is Playstation focused.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_wagner /forum/post/15536961

I've recently started listening to The Target Demographic . They're a little more broad than just video games (they talk about movies and music as well).

As Major Nelson was listed in the original post, I also listen to the Official Xbox Magazine (OXM) podcast.

Sarcastic Gamer can be amusing at times. One of their podcasts is Playstation focused.

I used to listed to OXM regularly, but the two hosts just got on my nerves after awhile. I just didn't like the way they had their show formatted every week. It was a very structured show that followed a strict routine, and I found that only a small portion of their show actually grabbed my attention.

I might have to start listening to them again tho. I also used to listen to this podcast called "The Video Game Show", but their attempt at comedy just got on my nerves, and I honestly felt like I knew twice as much about gaming as they did, so I stopped listening to them as well.

One good thing about videogaming podcasts, there are freaking TONS of them out there. So many to choose from. I just wish I could find something as entertaining and insightful as 1upYours. The closest one IMHO is Giant Bomb, but they are still pretty far away from a pure quality standpoint, and they can get a little silly at times. If 1upYours never really returns, or returns in a severely neutered form, then I guess Giant Bomb will have to take over my No.1 spot, but man, it's kinda depressing, cause it just doesn't seem like there are any gaming podcasts that I can really count on for a solid chunk of listening time that isn't going to be wasted.

I'm not saying there aren't alot of "good" podcasts out there, but I'm talking about a "great" podcast that almost never lets you down. I can listen to about 20 different episodes of 1upYours, and maybe 2 or 3 of the 20 episodes are kinda lame and not as entertaining as normal, but usually 18 or 17 of the 20 are extremely entertaining. It's hard to find consistency like that.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
I feel the opposite of you Anthony. I always felt that Giant Bomb had a better podcast because they only had three people doing the show.

The 1Up Yours was always a clusterf*ck and most of the show was based around "Who's been playing what recently".

In any case, I liked them both and listen(ed) to both of them regularly.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Rebel FM was fun. I hope they work out their kinks with the sound. You could really feel and sense the emotion in most of the guys on there.

I sure hope that people start talking about the AVS Gaming podcast once it hits the airwaves!

·
Registered
355 Posts
TalkRadar podcast from the guys at Games Radar is not the best gaming podcast but IMHO the funniest.

Sarcastic Gamer is pretty good and also has a second Playstation only podcast.

·
Registered
481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/15540108

I used to listed to OXM regularly, but the two hosts just got on my nerves after awhile. I just didn't like the way they had their show formatted every week. It was a very structured show that followed a strict routine, and I found that only a small portion of their show actually grabbed my attention.

That's why there is chocolate and vanilla. Now that you mention it, maybe that's why I like Major Nelson & OXM, the shows have some structure to them. I think I also like OXM as a counter-point to Major Nelson. With the Major's show, if it's for the 360 it's cool and wonderful and he can't wait to play it or try the accessory. With OXM they tend to be a bit more call-it-like-they-see-it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
1. 1up yours

2. Podcast Beyond

3. 3 Red Lights - The Cobra Commander bit had me in tears at work.

4. Game Scoop

5. Sports Game Guy Anomaly

6. CAGcast

7. Gamespot: From the Bleachers

I use to like Scarcastic Gamer but they tend to be really bias. I also use to listen to the Konsole Kingz podcast, Killaz Inc., but they stopped producing them. I'm starting to listen to Joystiq's podcast. Seems cool so far.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts