AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got my 4x8 gatorboard on order and I will need to cut some off the width... just wondering the best way to do this? The guy at the store said it is very difficult to cut with a utility knife - he suggested a hacksaw.

I want to use something that will cut it nice and straight... I live in an apt so I don't have a workshop or anything.

TIA!

LB

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Here is a link to a machine that can cut it. I looks like a universal

material cutter that a upscale framing house would have. You should

have no problem finding one of those in NYC. Only getting it place

to place would be a pain.

http://www.access-imaging.com/aimg2000/2g.htm

b2b

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, my gatorboard arrived and it is larger than I imagined... there is no way I can haul that thing anywhere to be cut... I gotta cut it at home.

So anyone have any suggestions on how to cut it? Hacksaw or just muscle it with a utility knife?

LB

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
A cheap wood saw with really sharp teeth might do it. The worry is splitting from saw teeth that are too rough. Go slowly!

The hack saw won't fit and the wood saw is a perfect guide at the same time. Uh.. that's why they build them that way.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KBK - Thanks, I will see if I can find a saw with a very fine blade... but I just think this is overkill, I mean the gatorboard isn't that tough (I don't think?)

What about a killer pair of scissors? Tin snips maybe?

LB

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
I have never seen the stuff. Is it two layers of tough material on a core

of foam? And what thickness did you get?

b2b

·
Registered
5,652 Posts

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
The thinnest can be done with a razor quite possibly. A long straight edge.. and a good solid razor, or a very sharp kitchen knife. score it, place over the edge of the table and use the blade guide to 'crack' or 'snap' the unwanted piece off. Just like cutting glass. Then finish the (now open) cut with the knife.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going to attempt to cut it with a utility knife... I'll try it out in the surplus area first... will let everyone know how it goes.

LB

·
Registered
12 Posts
After reading so many of these threads about cutting gatorboard I was very hesitant to even cut my screen. I finally broke down and just cut it with my 5 1/4" saw and it breezed right through it. I did not splinter or crack. I actually made a smoother cut than the original factory cut. I made such a big deal of it to my wife that when she chose the side that I had cut she chose the original uncut side.

It was very easy! Clamped down a 4' level and followed the line. It doesn't get any easier or faster than that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.