AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an X1, Dalite 80X60 screen and a coffe table to rest the X1 on and realized they do not match. When sitting on the coffe table the image is not centered without tilting the X1 forward, and I realized any small movement would displace the X1 and ruin the centering of the image. So I guess my only other option is ceiling mounting. However my basement celing uses particle board, it's like a metal grid with square particle boards in each grid, I dunno if that's a good explanation. Anyway the metal portions are very thin, probably 6/8 of an inch wide, so I dunno if a standard mount will work. Anyone have any cheap/reasonably priced mounts I can use?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
If you do a search here on "DIY mount" you should be able to come up with quite a few ideas. You'll see that some are mounted at the end of a pipe. In your case you'll want to cut an opening in one of the ceiling tiles and run the pipe up to the solid ceiling that should be behind the tiles.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sure those aren't acoustic tiles? It would be fine to replace one with some wood/partical board. A simple mount is a swivel speaker mount like those at RadioShack and a small board between it and the projector.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I mounted my new X1 two days ago. Cut and drilled 12mm MDF (craft wood) to the underside of the X1, 2 coarse screws hold 1 side of a pivoting ball type speaker braket, the other side held in the the wall but 2 spring toggle/gravity hooks in to the plasterboard (dry wall), Bracket was $59 AUD (so probably $20 in us) and is quick release at push of button. I feel its better than the genuine mount due to quick release and closer to the roof (hence no need to keystone, picture is near perfectly square)

The bracket was made in here in Oz so i doubt its avaiable in the US, but you should be able to find something.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mounted mine on a Armstrong foamboard ceiling just as you described. I cut a maple board at ~18" x 10" to span the ceiling joists. I then screwed the board to the joists anf then mounted my DIY mount to the board. I'll post a pic later today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.