AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all...

...what's the best way to share a sub between a 2.1 and a 5.1?

The 2.0 and 5.0 parts are seven separate speakers.

The 2.0 has an east orientation and the 5.0 has a south orientation.

Only the subwoofer is to be shared.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Huh?

If your AVR has "stereo" setting is should only play 2.1. If you have Dolby or DTS music mode then it's 5.1.

Assuming that's what you meant?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, not what I meant.

Clarifications added to OP.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hmmm... If you have two different sources/inputs you could probably use a y rca splitter at the sub and run each cable to the source.

The other source would have to be off though so they're not sending signals at the same time.

Not 100% sure that'll work though. It's cheap enough to try though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Run the 2.0 via high level inputs and 5.1 as lfe/dedicated sub input.

Get your gain and crossover on the sub as the common denominator and then level the volume out the 2.0 and 5.1 independent of each other?

·
Registered
433 Posts
It is not good practice to use a Y-splitter on an input, that is two outputs to one input, because outputs are low impedance and you could damage the one output while driving with the other. On the other hand using a Y on an output, one output to two inputs, is fine as inputs have a relatively high impedance.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You can use a miniDSP 2x4 with the mixer or the advanced 2.1 plugins. That is assuming you have two avrs.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey019  /t/1523963/whats-the-best-way-to-share-a-sub-between-a-2-1-and-a-5-1#post_24520801

It is not good practice to use a Y-splitter on an input, that is two outputs to one input, because outputs are low impedance and you could damage the one output while driving with the other. On the other hand using a Y on an output, one output to two inputs, is fine as inputs have a relatively high impedance.

+1 this, you are essentially causing a short by using an y-splitter on an input. Also a miniDSP is overkill for what the OP wants to do. The OP will want to use something like these analogue utility mixers . This twenty buck Behringer mixer will do the job just fine.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I know a Y-connector is a bad idea. Althoough this one seems to make it possible.

Concerned about the potential damage if both are connected at the same time (someone, not me, might have both on at the same time).

It looks as though a switch (either RCA or XLR, depending on ultimate connection used) will be needed. I just haven't found one that works with a remote, all manual.

I was also hoping some sub manufacturer might have an input selector on the sub amp (similar to an AVR's input selector) - but no luck yet.

I was also hoping some AVR might have support for sharing the sub between zones - no luck yet.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woo-hoo

It looks like the XLR3 amp from Rythmik (co-incidentally my favourite sub maker) does exactly what I want.

It has a 'Dual Mode' which allows its two inputs to be connected to different systems

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I would say get another sub so each system has one. Not sure of the rational to use one sub which can't be optimally located for two different systems.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy  /t/1523963/whats-the-best-way-to-share-a-sub-between-a-2-1-and-a-5-1#post_24525744

THIS

http://www.amazon.ca/niceEshop-Composite-Selector-Splitter-Gamecube/dp/B00DAXINYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395715341&sr=8-1&keywords=rca+selector

There's lots of switches out there. I haven't found one that works with a universal remote yet. It would suck to have to flick a switch every time - but may be necessary.

Still trying to better understand Rythmik's Dual mode.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy  /t/1523963/whats-the-best-way-to-share-a-sub-between-a-2-1-and-a-5-1#post_24528937

How are you going to deal with the different volume setting for each system ?

Should be able to deal with in the receiver for each.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts