AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to grab a wireless WebTV keyboard to use with my 5060 after reading old posts here. (See, some of us newbees DO use the search) ;)

But when I got to ebay, I was swamped with different brands and models.

Please let me know what YOU have come to favor.

Search ebay for WebTV+keyboard

I see:

Sony (at least two models)

RCA

Philips (some are for AOL-TV)

Dish Network for Microsoft's WebTV

MAGNAVOX WEBTV

NEWCOM WEBPAL

and on and on for three pages!

I'm most interested in reasonable quality with good range.

Extra features that work would be nice, too.

Help me out here, and thanks! :D

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
As far as I know no extra features would work.

The only real benefit to a keyboard is in the Find Shows, otherwise the remote is far better.

The keyboard I have isn't even a webtv keyboard. It just happens to us a compatible IR command set. I'll look for a model if that will help, it's got to be cheaper because it's a non-branded senjin keyboard.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I picked up a sony webTV keyboard from ebay for 9.95.

It's good for text searches but that is all.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The problem you are going to have getting good opinions on this is that I'm guessing very few folks have actually tried multiple brands to get any sort of comparison. You'll likely just get a lot of "Brand X model Y works fine for me".

And in that vein...

I grabbed a couple of Philips/Magnovox units on eBay, model SWK-8640. I've not used them heavily, but they seem to work fine. Total cost for two was about $15 ($5 for the two with a BuyItNow auction plus about $10 shipping).

·
Registered
61 Posts
arklab, I like the Sony SWK8660 webtv keyboard. I am only familiar with that one and Magnavox keyboard because I own them. I used to use WebTv for about 2 years before getting a computer.

Compared to the Magnavox the Sony is a significantly bigger keyboard and the keys of course are bigger too. The best thing about the Sony is that you don't have to point the keyboard at your replay unit to use it. With the Magnavox you do.

I help that helps.

Also, I just checked ebay and it appears that no one is selling the Sony SWK 8660 but they are selling the Sony 8640. I believe the Sony 8640 is the same size and probably works the same. Just make sure not to get the Sony SWK 8630 because that one is just like the Magnavox keyboard.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I'm a little OT, but can someone with the webtv branded keyboard tell me if shifted-0 works? I don't get the ')' I get a '0'. All other keys work well, so I suspect this keyboard has a different IR code for the ')' key.

(I'll not mention the keyboard model until I know if this thing is good or bad)

The keyboad also works well for naming your replay. That's where I ran into the right paren problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've tried a few different brands of WebTV keyboards. The Sony ones have a much better layout (keys aren't as crammed together).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gee, I'm getting all sorts of great info! :D

Still haven't bought yet, so keep the comments coming.

(OK ... this is really kinda a "bump".) :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
I'm a little OT, but can someone with the webtv branded keyboard tell me if shifted-0 works? I don't get the ')' I get a '0'. All other keys work well, so I suspect this keyboard has a different IR code for the ')' key.

(I'll not mention the keyboard model until I know if this thing is good or bad)

The keyboad also works well for naming your replay. That's where I ran into the right paren problem.
I'm not understanding what your talking about, however, on my magnavox and sony keyboard if I hold down shift and zero at the same time I just get the number zero. I'm not understanding why someone would get ')' or what that means or what you can do with it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tommyb55
I'm not understanding what your talking about, however, on my magnavox and sony keyboard if I hold down shift and zero at the same time I just get the number zero. I'm not understanding why someone would get ')' or what that means or what you can do with it.
Because of the way Jeff D wrote his message, I can see why you could be a bit confused. When Jeff writes ')' he means that he expected to get a closing parenthesis when he pressed [Shift]+zero. The single quotation marks were used to let the reader know that the parenthesis was used as an object rather than in its normal punctuation role.

My guess would be that he wants a full set of parentheses as part of the Replay name.

Jeff, is it possible you're running up against the end of the name field and there's no room for your closing paren?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPlastic
Because of the way Jeff D wrote his message, I can see why you could be a bit confused. When Jeff writes ')' he means that he expected to get a closing parenthesis when he pressed [Shift]+zero. The single quotation marks were used to let the reader know that the parenthesis was used as an object rather than in its normal punctuation role.

My guess would be that he wants a full set of parentheses as part of the Replay name.

Jeff, is it possible you're running up against the end of the name field and there's no room for your closing paren?
MrPlastic is right, the single quotes are to show it's a quoted character. Sorry for the confusion.

Tommyb55 has got the same result as I do, shift-9 give you the left paren shift 0 gives you a 0 and not the right paren.

I discovered this while trying to put part of the replay name in parens.

Does everyone sees the same results?

Pressing shift-zero gets you a zero and not the right parenthesis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.