AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a widescreen RPTV that can accept 480p or 1080i is it better to scale DVD to 1080i from a DVD ROM equipped PC or 480p from a progressive player?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Scott,

How about posting some specifics to help us out, maybe the model of RPTV you're speaking about and what your HTPC's config is?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Toshiba TW56x81 currently using Panasonic RP56 DVD player, which has the worst user interface I've seen on a DVD player.

I don't have an HTPC but I could build one, and my do so anyway if I put in a projector.

Thanks for the reply though. All my other queries on this board go unanswered.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Scott, as an active member, I am sorry that your previous posts went unanswered. It seems that you post reasonable questions, so I'm not sure why people would ignore your threads.

I run a Panasonic RP56 in 480p mode and have strongly considered the HTPC route. It's not much more expensive (maybe $1K or less) and allegedly supplies you with a far superior picture. I have yet to see someone scale a 480 image to 1080i and have it look amazingly spectacular. The scaling would have to be absolutely top-notch because that is quite a jump. Also, you must consider the fact that with a Panasonic DVD player you have ease of use. With a HTPC, you would undoubtedly uncover many issues that might prevent you from enjoying your HT. That alone prevents me from switching. I work too hard to screw around with my rig every week.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

In an Ideal world, it would be preferable to feed the DVD in as 1080i/540p as the image done via HTPC has a certain solidity to it that the 480P side lacks.

More film like via HTPC.

However, there are many, many headaches associated with HTPC and many additional costs and incompatibility issues. I ran into two of these when I tried the HTPC experiment.

I could never output 5.1 and the image sync was off by 2 mm for each field ...

Regards

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well put, Michael. This is esentially the same reason that many of us don't buy the best RPTV we can instead of FPJ, since the RPTV is much less hassle and slightly less expensive.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hello Scott,

I bought a panasonic rp91 because of other owner's rave reviews and I have an htpc. I have run several different software dvd players and tried all manner of tweak and it may be heresy to say this but.... the rp91 beat them all. On ease of use there is no contest the panasonic is a no brainer. Keep in mind that others far more wizardly than me say they get the htpc to look better.

For What its worth,

Paul

·
Registered
912 Posts
Automagic, terrific way to put it.

If you want the tweaking, go for the HTPC. If you are like most of us and just want to enjoy amazing movies, the Panasonic is an easy choice.

I chose the RP56 because of the DCDi chip. It looks so good, I could not believe it. Absolutely go 480p over 480i (in case you were considering it).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.