AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really for only the front two/three speakers. Any ideas? I wanna eventually buy one but dont know anything about pricing (other than all ive ever seen is that theyre about $1K).

·
The Village Idiot
9,558 Posts
You can buy a Behringer A500 for cheap. You might be able to find one used on your local Craigs List or want ads - or ebay.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Behringer is probably cheapest/Watt new. Emotiva has a following and has gotten good reviews for inexpensive gear. They usually have sales toward the end of the year. The used market is also a good source.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn $200 isn't bad at all. I need preouts on my AVR, right?

I could just let the amp handle my front two speakers and the rest would be driver by the AVR?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Yes to both, but unless you have inefficient low-impedance speakers in a large room I doubt you really need an amp.

·
Registered
686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test123455 /forum/post/20883394

Ok, what exactly does 'deeper' mean in reference to amps?

I think he's comparing dimensions vs. weight in this case.

Emotiva - 30 lbs. and 18" deep.

Behringer - 18.5 lbs. and 10.8" deep.

Cheers,

SB

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Is the A500 class D? If so, size and weight comparisons are meaningless. Not that they have a lot of meaning anyway...

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I would look for a used Acurus. Made in America, fantastic Build Quality, etc...

Used Adcoms, NADs, Parasounds, Rotels are also safe choices as well. I would do an Area Search on Audiogon and check out what Amplifiers are in your area.

Behringer certainly offers stellar value. I suppose I just prefer Class AB Amplifiers and have used the same Amplifiers for around a decade running them 24/7. Much of this time at idle.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 /forum/post/20885444

Is the A500 class D? If so, size and weight comparisons are meaningless. Not that they have a lot of meaning anyway...

I would guess something like class H. Pretty sure it's not class D, in any case.

·
The Village Idiot
9,558 Posts
I think the A500 is an AB design.

Not positive though. It doesn't have a fan which is a plus for a pro amp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts