AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that the Microsoft xBOX may not support 720p for widescreen games anytime soon. However, there is a good chance they will at least support 1080i 16x9 games.

I plan on only using the xBOX on my 16x9 VGA monitor. I need a reasonable way to downconvert 1080i to 720p so my monitor can display 1280x720p (it doesn't do 1080i).

My Hipix HDTV card already does an outstanding job of downconverting 1080i to 720p automatically; however the xbox doesn't seem to do this.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I don't think it's too likely that you'll see games coming out that support 1080i but not 720p. If a developer is going to go to the trouble of supporting multiple resolutions, it's not much more trouble to support 3 resolutions than 2. In fact, if done right it's not any more trouble, assuming the the resolutions are the same aspect ratio.

If anything, I'm worried that we'll see games supporting 720p but not 1080i. 1280x720p is a reasonable resolution assuming you're careful, but 1920x1080 is going to have massive requirements for fillrate and memory usage, to the point where developers may find it impossible to achieve acceptable performance at 1080i. Just because 1080i is an interlaced resolution, it doesn't mean that the memory and other requirements are cut in half. I'm pretty sure the interlacing would be done at the hardware level in the output stage, with the software running in progressive mode.

If I'm right about 1080i not being achievable with decent performance, hopefully the developers will at least support 720p and 540p.

Jeff

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just a note. It isn't possible to downconvert 1080i to 720P because 720P has better picture quality. 720P is a step up from 1080i.

Alex

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
Up or down?

You do the math.
I like to measure the number of unique pixels / second.

Some of the older analog display measurements don't count as much now when we are video processing the heck out of it in the digital domain and going to progressive displays anyway.

- Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.