Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm revisitng this issue as I'm about to perform an overhaul of my HTPC. It used to be that ATI was your best bet for HD. I've discovered on this forum, after some searching, that nVidia has updated their drivers such that HD is now possible/easier with GeForce cards.

What's not clear to me, however, is who is the standout leader in terms of HD support? I'm having a hard time figuring out which brand I should go with, especially since I'm not up to speed on all the models, and ATI has confused the crap out of me with their numbering scheme.

I should also mention that I don't need fancy 3D as I won't be gaming, I don't need video capture as that's being handled by another card, and as always the cheaper the better.

I just need a card that will reliably and easily drive 1080i to my TV. Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
There's no clear answer to this one and it depends on your TV.

ATI provides native HDTV support via the component adapter but to properly drive an HDTV you need to use powerstrip.

Nvidia requires the use of a transcoder for component connectivity. I don't use Nvidia but I have heard the same thing about the drivers.

If you are connecting to a digital TV via DVI then there's probably not a lot to choose between the two.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about connecting my card directly using a VGA connector? My TV has such a connection. Is it better to use ATI's component adapter or a transcoder?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
If your TV has VGA (probably a Mitsubishi or Pioneer) then you should be able to connect directly without using the dongle or a transcoder assuming there are no "real" resolution restrictions on that port.

I say "real" because most TV manuals say that the VGA/DVI port is not intended for computer use because they don't want the support hassle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.