AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i might get crucified for this because this might be discussed somewhere else, however I can not find any informaiton.

I have not seen or heard of many, well any reviews on how AV123 x-series speakers compare with other companies. I see they are having a sale on their x-series and I really like the way the x-sls encore mid tower speaker looks. I have already ordered the mfw-15 and I am looking for some solid speakers to go along with it. My room is roughly 14x12. Does someone have some suggestions or could you guide me to some comparisions that have already been made on this board?

Thank you.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Why not simply try a pair? AV123 gives you a 30 day trial, and they now pay for shipping both ways if you decide you don't like them. Can't beat that, and you'll get to hear them in your own room, the way it should be done.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I asked the same question because the name sounded like a budget HT brand. Further research reveals a deeper history in high end audio and their products actually do look pretty good on paper. I haven't got a chance to audition them though mainly due to my current location. I swear though if they change the company name into something like "Milan Acoustics" or something European I'm sure they'd be getting more attention.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/14203721

I was getting the impression that av123 has been touted all over the internet.

I'm an ID guy and I didn't know about them until last month. It's most likely because of the name that I overlooked.

·
Registered
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/14203755

I'm an ID guy and I didn't know about them until last month. It's most likely because of the name that I overlooked.

I currently owl a pair ov av123 x-ls and an x=voce with a pair of x-statiks on order.

I think that av123 is one of the few... one of the few that offers a real bang-for-buck product, one that takes care of their customers if/when a problem arrises... This could however change in the manner of how they deal with my 2 bad x-subs... though so far so good!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Quote:

Huh, really? AV123 is the KING of the ID labeled companies IMHO. Not sure how one could miss them. I think they market themselves extremely well and most people in this hobby are aware of them.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:

lol, sorry but you are an ID guy that lived under a rock.

More then two years ago AV123 was ID brand of choice (still are today, IMO), heck the AV123 owner's thread was even shutdown here for awhile.

AV123 is talked about more then any other ID brand, well maybe Ascend is close but x-series, Rockets, X-stacks, Bad ass new subs and so on are all raved about and AV123 fans annoy others over and over again. The owner Mark is probably the most recognized ID speaker company owner out there.

Like Tony said, its amazing you missed out on this company.

Quote:
name sounded like a budget HT brand

The name is kind of basic, very true but there is nothing budget or basic about the speaker designs and builds. Truely amazing speaker builds for their price tag. You just need to own a set of Rocket RS760s to understand that.

·
Registered
132 Posts

More then two years ago AV123 was ID brand of choice (still are today, IMO), heck the AV123 owner's thread was even shutdown here for awhile.

AV123 is talked about more then any other ID brand, well maybe Ascend is close but x-series, Rockets, X-stacks, Bad ass new subs and so on are all raved about and AV123 fans annoy others over and over again.

you mean to tell me they are more talked about than ED.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
AV123 makes some exceptional speakers. Beautiful cabinetry and finish. I do like how they show upcoming designs and models way before release (gives you something to look forward to) with detailed photos of the proto-types.

One thing i was quite dissapointed in recently was how MLS openly complained ON FORUM about a deal with another that went bad. He openly gave the amount of money he lost and bashed the other company as well as involving other forum members at av123forum. That just shocked me that you would so openly involve business matters that are supposed to be kept behind closed doors. Someone even joined the forum to tell him that is a bad business practice and MLS openly flamed him for it....

Oh well. They still makes some great stuff and pretty good prices. I wasnt as much of a fan of the new x-statiks, they just didnt do it for me. The RS850s were awesome though. And those new LS6's are to drool over!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14204035

Something like that, cuz I just got back into this hobby after a 10 year hiatus. But I periodically read forums for any new developments. Seriously I must have skipped anything related to AV123 due to the name. It sounded like a start-up budget brand for college students or a strictly HT focused company. Of course I was wrong and their products have my highest respects.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I've seen comparisons on Stereomojo, Audioholics, and GoodSound. Av123 makes good products.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Bigred, the openness is what makes Mark a neat guy. I've always respected his availability and his passion for what he does but that comes with hotheadedness at times. I respect him for it and just know that he is someone I'd love to deal with. I prefer people who just say it like it is. Good or bad.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler /forum/post/14211569

Bigred, the openness is what makes Mark a neat guy. I've always respected his availability and his passion for what he does but that comes with hotheadedness at times. I respect him for it and just know that he is someone I'd love to deal with. I prefer people who just say it like it is. Good or bad.

Completly understand, i also love the opennness, but when your in a business, there IS a line not to cross. His rant started fine with just talk of frustration, but it quickly turned to anger. There is information that people just dont need to know, regardless if you want to hear it or not, thats just a better business model. If i were new to that forum, i would not appreciate how he openly flamed someone who was trying to "keep it realistic", and give the other sides point of view. Now for people who have been apart of that forum for awhile, they have created a friendship with him, and thats fine, but he still has to rememeber to only take it so far.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/14210353

Something like that, cuz I just got back into this hobby after a 10 year hiatus. But I periodically read forums for any new developments. Seriously I must have skipped anything related to AV123 due to the name. It sounded like a start-up budget brand for college students or a strictly HT focused company. Of course I was wrong and their products have my highest respects.

Funny, I've always thought the exact same thing about the name. Not that I want them to have some pretentious European name or some generic name that sounds vaguely positive but doesn't really mean anything, like seemingly every other ID brand (Axiom, Ascend, Aperion)...

·
Registered
450 Posts
I found them hard to miss last year when I started researching some HT purchases.

I remember reading about Mark Seaton's contribution to their company and his other work around on this forum.

It was a major contributor to me buying the MFW-15. First - to know it was not only American-designed - but also Mid-West designed (even though he's potentially a FIB) was a really nice motivator. The very high quality of his custom designs helped to show the quality and forethought that went into the product.

I was concerned that some ID companies might just be no-name, no-face companies who slap together products and sell them dirt cheap because they ARE dirt cheap quality too. Everything I read about AV123 seemed to indicate that they are simply a high quality small company using this whole internets/series of tubes and global marketplace to their greatest advantage. Reading about their factory in Columbia was also very cool - good to know that cheap labor doesn't need to mean exploitation.

Now that I have the MFW-15, I can say that if I had purchased my towers second - after hearing the MFW-15 and seeing the quality of the build - you'd have been hard-pressed to steer me away from the Rockets.

Companies that provide great products at great prices and stand behind their work will always get my loyalty. And companies that publicize the design philosophy and details, and people behind their products are also much more likely to get me interested. Reputation goes a long way in my book - for both people and for companies.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noubourne /forum/post/14212667

Everything I read about AV123 seemed to indicate that they are simply a high quality small company using this whole internets/series of tubes and global marketplace to their greatest advantage.

Props on the ref.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you everyone for your comments, however. This is not addressing my question. I defanitely know of AV123, they impressed me enough to purchase their mfw-15 sub. I had the pleasure of speaking with him for roughly 45 minutes; I made my purchase just after speaking with him. He is a great guy and it seems like a great company, however.

My question is, where are all the reviews for the x sls encore mid tower speakers at? I can not seem to find any. Could someone please assist me. Thank you.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk02bird /forum/post/14217161

Thank you everyone for your comments, however. This is not addressing my question. I defanitely know of AV123, they impressed me enough to purchase their mfw-15 sub. I had the pleasure of speaking with him for roughly 45 minutes; I made my purchase just after speaking with him. He is a great guy and it seems like a great company, however.

My question is, where are all the reviews for the x sls encore mid tower speakers at? I can not seem to find any. Could someone please assist me. Thank you.

You'd need to ask the reviewers why they aren't reviewing them... As you've found, there aren't very many out. I have seen reviews for the Strata Mini, but that's the only av123 that I, personally, have been able to find.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts