AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

What's the deal with dvd widescreen on my Panny.

584 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Jagsman
Why is it that a widescreen dvd does not fill the screen on my th42px50u unless it's in the zoom mode? Shouldn't the widescreen format already fit in with the tv in normal mode.

The dvd player has a zoom function but that looks worse than the Panny zoom. It would appear that "normal" dvd would aspect adjust better than the widescreen format.

Thanks.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I assume that you know that most movies are in an aspect ratio wider than your tv. If you do, and you are not complaining about 2.35:1 ratio movies (which leaves bars on the top and bottom of your screen), you need to get your manuals out and determine the proper settings for your dvd player and tv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markam
I assume that you know that most movies are in an aspect ratio wider than your tv. If you do, and you are not complaining about 2.35:1 ratio movies (which leaves bars on the top and bottom of your screen), you need to get your manuals out and determine the proper settings for your dvd player and tv.

i don't think he knows this fact.

Original Poster: Most movies are not 16x9 - they are more "widescreen" than your widescreen TV.
1. Make sure in the DVD player's setup you select 16:9 display, most default to 4:3 display and will add black bars in that mode.

2. Many widescreen movies are 2.35:1 aspect ratio which will still have some black bars since its wider than 1.78:1 (16:9) aspect ratio - but the black bars are 1/2 that of on a 4:3 set for those movies. Other movies are 1.85:1 aspect ratio and are close enough that they will fill the 16:9 screen in "Full" mode if the DVD player is setup properly.
I was having the same problem. I knew I would have black bars but mine took up half the screen. I went into the setup menu and my default was set to 4:3. After I changed it to 16:9 it looked normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer
1. Make sure in the DVD player's setup you select 16:9 display, most default to 4:3 display and will add black bars in that mode.

2. Many widescreen movies are 2.35:1 aspect ratio which will still have some black bars since its wider than 1.78:1 (16:9) aspect ratio - but the black bars are 1/2 that of on a 4:3 set for those movies. Other movies are 1.85:1 aspect ratio and are close enough that they will fill the 16:9 screen in "Full" mode if the DVD player is setup properly.
Thank you.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.