AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching big screen tv's for a while now trying to find the one I like best. The more I look the more something bothers me. The pictures on these sets are absolutely beautiful and clear, however they aren't very fluid when they move. Why is this? They look choppy as though there is a strobe light nearby. Every time I ask a salesman about it they look at me like I'm crazy, and they say that they don't see it. Why is it that the picture on my 10 year old (or maybe older) 27" tube tv at home moves much more fluidly than these new state-of-the-art, hi-tech HDTV's. Am I really the only one who sees this? From all I've read, and all the people I've talked to no one seems to know what I'm talking about. How is this not a huge problem that is unacceptable to anyone else?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw Superman Returns on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray on two different sets at Best Buy (the two sets were the Sony A502000 and the Samsung HL-5087W) and the picture still did not flow smoothly. Really, am I crazy? But my old crappy 27" doesn't have this problem with any type of signal whether it's my 480i DVD player or regular television broadcasts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not microblocking. It looks as if these tv's have a slower refresh rate than regular old run-o-the-mill tv's. As if they show less frames per second or something, giving it strobe light kind of effect.

·
Registered
852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monnkey2 /forum/post/0

It's not microblocking. It looks as if these tv's have a slower refresh rate than regular old run-o-the-mill tv's. As if they show less frames per second or something, giving it strobe light kind of effect.

this is what we are stuck with. all the new technologies are bright ,flat shiny vivd all that ,but when it come down to picture overall crt is the way to go. i know what you are talking about, you can also see the pixels or maybe even silkscreen effect on most of these tv's atleast i can. go look at the hitachi f59's and take a dvd player with you or have them hook it up to a f59 and it will be as smooth as you old crt tv as long as the settings are not all jacked up on the tv. it's true what the other poster said garbage in garbage out ,but most of these digital tv's have major flaws. look for the post by the guy who just went to ces 2007 and he said it best that there is only a couple of tv's worth looking at.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye /forum/post/0

...most of these digital tv's have major flaws. look for the post by the guy who just went to ces 2007 and he said it best that there is only a couple of tv's worth looking at.

This thread looks like organized multi-alias troll activity to me. A quick visit to any store with good feed will show what nonsense this is.

·
Registered
852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegow /forum/post/0

This thread looks like organized multi-alias troll activity to me. A quick visit to any store with good feed will show what nonsense this is.

i'm not a troll, i'm a person lol. if someone likes these tv's thats fine i'm just pointing out MY opinion. i never said he had to buy this or that i just suggested he try something if that's trolling then you must have some sensitivity issues in regards to digital tv's. i was pointing out what i see when looking at these tv's ( i don't see it on all just 90%) anyway don't take it so personal, it's a forum to share your opinion,comments ect.. wow people are getting touchy.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Man...I used to see flaws in the T.V.'s as well...regardless of technologies. I went ahead and bought a Sammy HL-S6187W and after having it for about 2 months now, watching HD broadcasting, gaming in HD with the 360, watching the richest picture avaialbe in HD-DVD....there's no way I'd ever go back to watching a regular ol' CRT television by choice....seeing flaws in HDTVs, at least in the likes of the Sammy HL-Sxx87 models. These things are incredible.

I have a relative that just bought a CRT based projection HDTV and boy ol' boy...the PQ that set gives make me feel like a genius as I only paid $1000 more than my aunt who paid a thousand for her T.V. that doesn't hold a candle in the slightest way possible to my set.

Make sure you consider how stores share the feed between numerous television so the PQ is seriously degraded. I used to judge (prior to owning my own HDTV) HDTVs in store by how they were performing on the shelf/show room but I can't stress enough to you that those setting don't do the T.V. justice.

I have yet to notice any refresh rate issues with mine. After viewing that CRT based project HDTV....I'm at awe and deeply in love with my DLP HDTV.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monnkey2 /forum/post/0

I have been researching big screen tv's for a while now trying to find the one I like best. The more I look the more something bothers me. The pictures on these sets are absolutely beautiful and clear, however they aren't very fluid when they move. Why is this? They look choppy as though there is a strobe light nearby. Every time I ask a salesman about it they look at me like I'm crazy, and they say that they don't see it. Why is it that the picture on my 10 year old (or maybe older) 27" tube tv at home moves much more fluidly than these new state-of-the-art, hi-tech HDTV's. Am I really the only one who sees this? From all I've read, and all the people I've talked to no one seems to know what I'm talking about. How is this not a huge problem that is unacceptable to anyone else?

I see the same thing on my 1080p display; but what i question is; why is it i only see this "sometimes" when the camera is panning and never seen it when the camera is still and the subject is moving?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rafsta /forum/post/0

I have a relative that just bought a CRT based projection HDTV and boy ol' boy...the PQ that set gives make me feel like a genius as I only paid $1000 more than my aunt who paid a thousand for her T.V. that doesn't hold a candle in the slightest way possible to my set.

It's all in the eye of the beholder isn't? I just went the other because IMO nothing but a top end plasma matches a CRT projection HDTV for picture quality.

You should go to your aunt's with the Avia or DVE set-up disc and adjust her set out of those awful factory settings for her.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm with ya'. My jvc g886 is so bad with the cable digital noise that I recently wrote JVC asking if a firmware upgrade might help. No response. I realize it is the poor signal I'm receiving, but poor signals are what's being broadcasted. Recently, In BB, I saw this very badly on a pio elite plasma and pointed it out to the ee. My next purchase will have to mask the real life issue of crappy hd signals.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye /forum/post/0

... i'm just pointing out MY opinion...people are getting touchy.

Uh, no it's a lot more than just your opinion. Hard technical information on motion performance is readily available, if you cared to look for it. Extreme Tech is a good place to start. I don't worry at all about other people's preferences, but I do feel a need to challenge a claim that something is a fact when it demonstrably is not.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have an RCA F38310 (CRT) I've been wanting too move to something bigger and something with HDMI. I had my heart set on the JVC FH61 inch 1080P. My brother in law bought one and I see the same thing, however I did not notice it on blu ray material but Directv HD was horrible.

Then my wives parent bought a 60XRR2 SXRD and I see the same thing. Very disheartening.

But something that looks like will have to be lived with, or I should look more into DLP?

·
Registered
94 Posts
monnkey2:

I understand what you are talking about. I see it in a big way on computer screens that have a low hertz refresh rate applied. In the case of the Samsung or Sony's, I believe they both display at 60 hertz, which is what any standard CRT computer screen can display (most usually can display 75-85 hertz). But have you ever looked just to the left or right of the screen and notice the flickering? That is the same thing that is going on with the TV's you're looking at......your eyes must be very sensitive to it. Flat panel LCD's will definitely be a no-go for you because of their slower refresh rates.....(most are anywhere from 12ms-24ms).....but if you see them in DLP's or LCoS's, then you have a couple choices: Buy a Rear projection CRT, wait for the 120 hertz DLP's to come out (not sure when that will be), or wait for SED (if it ever comes out). If you HAVE to get a TV right now, get a rear projection CRT set........otherwise you might be waiting a few years.

Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.