AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

And if any of you wise guys wants to chime in with "4 inches", please restrain yourselves. :p

-Jerry

(Yes I did a search before posting)

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've only just heard about these in the past week, but my guess is they did some testing and found a way to make a slightly smaller dish that can still reflect the 3 sats.

Maybe they were getting complaints about the size of the oval dish and thought it could use a diet and still work.

Maybe retailers wanted a box that took up less space on the shelves.

Without knowing the specifics I would guess that the 24 inch dish has a slightly better chance at receiving a stable signal, but the 20 inch dish is probably just fine.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've only just heard about these in the past week, but my guess is they did some testing and found a way to make a slightly smaller dish that can still reflect the 3 sats.

Maybe they were getting complaints about the size of the oval dish and thought it could use a diet and still work.

Maybe retailers wanted a box that took up less space on the shelves.

Without knowing the specifics I would guess that the 24 inch dish has a slightly better chance at receiving a stable signal, but the 20 inch dish is probably just fine.

·
Registered
655 Posts
The smaller dish works great and is a little easier to set up.

We have found that the reception is a little better. However, technically you will find others on the forum that will say they are the same.

Personally, I have found the phase three works better - easier to tweak!

Below is some marketing information from one of the Sat Phase III ODU manufacturers:

Objective

To develop a lower cost, one-dish solution that is smaller and easier to install.

Cost Reduction Approach

Fully integrate the componentry of the LNB’s and 4 output Multiswitch thereby reducing redundancies and streamlining RF pass through

Benefits

- Cheaper wholesale cost than 18 x 24 plus Sat-C Kit

- Smaller, more rounded dish (less tilt adjust)

- Higher performance than 18 x 24

- Receives all services (101, 110, and 119)

Size

18 x 20 – less profile, improved aesthetics

Performance

Improved Noise Factor (NF) of LNB’s translates into higher Carrier/Noise ratio and gain. Similar to increasing size of the reflector.

Easier Installation

- Smaller, rounded dish - provides wider antenna alignment bandwidth

- Lighter LNB’s, less connections, lower currents, tighter 13V/18V threshold

- EZ-Align mast (integrated bubble level)

Product Specs

Dimensions of boxed unit (LxWxH) - 22.44†x 19.68†x 7.09â€

Gross weight of boxed unit (including carton/material weight & pallet) - 13.011 lbs

Net weight of boxed unit (without carton & pallet allocation) - 12.3 lbs

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just as long as it's not those 10 foot monster dishes, I'll be happy. Ever tried to install one of those? OMG. Thank god for Directv.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with above The Phase Three are Easier to Tweak then 18X24, concealed wiring to avoid weather but had to add a new NUT DRIVER 5/16 to my Tool belt (YAY I love Home Depot) I have found they are Just much Nicer to install and come with a mast that has a built in level and Adjustable Plum Screws that make plumbing Hehe Easier....Bill D*tv Sub

·
Registered
24 Posts
As a total novice I bought a phase III dish from Good Guys. It took 20 minutes to set it up. Plus, it was less expensive than the 18x24 net deals.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
As a former DTV Latin America customer I remember when they were introducing the 18 inch round dishes. They were heavily touting them as being smaller and easier to hide. Perhaps its the same for these oval dishes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.