AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the disk size and a whopping $1,300 difference in price?

It seems I could buy a 4040, and get a couple of large drives for ~$500, and save over $800 for the effort.

Am I missing something?

:confused:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Cost and capacity... the 4040 is $699, and the 4320 is $1999. The 4040 can hold 40 hours at the lowest quality setting, while the 4320 can hold 320 hours.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Nope, disk space is the only diff.

Upgrading yourself voids your warranty. Whether that and your time is worth $800 is up to you.

Oh, one other difference -- the 4320s are actually available right now, the 4040s aren't, at least according to sonicblue's webpage.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Nope, you're right, they're the same machine.

The main difference is by opening up the 4040 you're voiding your warranty, and if you're cool with that, then go right ahead :)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
As long as you are willing to do the upgrade yourself, you are better off getting two 4040's and shoving a huge drive into each. It will still cost less than a single 4320, and you will have the added benefit of being able to record two different things at once. Additionally, you will be able to stream from room to room. IMHO, this is a much more flexible setup than a single large-capacity unit in only one location. :)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
It's that 2nd drive connector AND the cool drive bracket!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
There has been some talk that merely using a "Y" power splitter off the one power connector may pull too much current from the power connector. It may cause some instability and that it is not the same as having the second power connector.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGuy
There has been some talk that merely using a "Y" power splitter off the one power connector may pull too much current from the power connector. It may cause some instability and that it is not the same as having the second power connector.
I think there are a number of people who are using y-connectors without problems. I was the one that started the thread about a possible link between y-connectors and instability, but I have subsequently found that one of my 160gb drives was defective (everything's working perfectly now that I got a new drive via rma -- thanks to Maxtor for making that really easy).

Having said that, Ed R and others believe there is some reason why SB didn't merely use a Y-connector in its 'authentic' 320 hour units, although noone has posted the definitive reason why that is so.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If the two power connectors are wired in parallel from the power supply and all the line traces and wiring can handle the extra load then it won't make a difference. However, if the current draw exceeds what the traces or wiring can handle, in time, those connections will burn out.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
It's not that simple Gadget, the traces aren't parallel, but in fact route thru an active component on each drive connector. What this does is not clear, but a simple Y was not used in the stock 4000's.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Whatever that active component is, I don't think it has anything to do with supplying extra power (since both HD connectors come off the same basic power supply leads before they hit this 'extra' component), so I doubt there's any issue with burning out the supply. Some people were guessing that the extra component was a filter of some sort, but I very much doubt that this is a big deal. Lizard_boy and I have been using a y-connector for a while with no ill effects yet. And unless you are as amazing as Ed R and KenL are with a soldering gun, there's a lot more risk with trying to jerryrig something onto the second connector than there is in using a y-connector (let's just hope toots doesn't try that one).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.