AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do DTVs NOT have the internal line doublers and stuff that HDTVs do? Can DTVs input a 1080i signal, or is that a High Definition signal?

------------------

Peace....

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
1080i and 720p in a 16:9 aspect ratio is HDTV. 480i and 480p (either 4:3 or 16:9) would be considered SDTV. Technically they are both DTV.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Ok, so we're talking about different digital TV sets.

There are two basic types of DTV compatible sets:

1) A "**TV", which has an internal DTV tuner.

2) A "**TV Monitor", which does not have a built-in DTV tuner and depends on a outboard DTV set-top-box (STB, **TV Tuner) for it's signal.

Both of these two types have three possible DTV display capabilities:

1) SDTV or SDTV Monitor, Standard Definition TV, will display the DTV formats in standard NTSC 480i resolution.

2) EDTV or EDTV Monitor, Enhanced Definition TV, will display the DTV formats in 480P and probably 480i also.

3) HDTV or HDTV Monitor, High Definition TV, will display either or both 720p & 1080i, and probably 480p & 480i also.

For more detail, go this web site & check out page 25: http://www.ce.org/pdf/dtv_guide_current_issue.pdf

Most of the EDTV's have a method (like line doubling) to upconvert NTSC to EDTV 480p resolution.

Most of the HDTV's have a method to upconvert NTSC & EDTV to HDTV 1080i or 720p resolution.

All the current STB's have the ability to up/down convert the various input signals to the other formats for output, for use with the three **TV Monitor types.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet! Thanks for the info!

------------------

Peace....

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
In less scientific terms - DTV (Digital TV) is a requirement (at least in the USA and countries that follow us) for HDTV (High Definition TV). So, when you see all the posts complaining that Fox is "not meeting the mandate" by broadcasting DTV (but not HDTV), it's hogwash - the mandate set out by the FCC was for DTV - HDTV is a logical extension of this (and is definitely to be preferred).

The 18 different formats of HDTV should also be convertible down to what your display can handle - i.e. why in the world would anybody want a 13" HDTV display ?

So, what we need here in the US to get DTV to really take off are some good, cheap convertor boxes (8vsb) that can receive the ATSC signal, then convert / display it on the (literally) millions of NTSC TV sets. This in addition to some programming would help immensely (IMHO) for DTV / HDTV acceptance.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Thanks for clearing this up Ken H. Best Buy has a sign explaining SDTV, EDTV, and HDTV which I did not understand. I understand and can quote from memory all 18 ATSC formats but I did not understand Best Buy's explanation of EDTV. No wonder consumers are confused. Part of my problem at Best Buy was that a salesman put a label in their store on my Toshiba 65" widescreen, that receives 1080i over component cables, as EDTV not HDTV ready.

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.