AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

The M8000 was introduced in fall of 1992, Electrohome's first 8" CRT, and its' big sister the M9000. Early 8000s were plagued with reliability problems, most of which had to do with reliability issues of the neck boards, they were very susceptible to damage from tube arcs. These and other problems led to a one month halt in production while several sections were redesigned; the new version M8000 was shipped starting in August 1994; part of the redesign was a new single-piece hinged rear heatsink as opposed to the earlier two-piece non-hinged layout. The 8000 was replaced in Fall of 1995 by the 8110 (very similar to the 8000) and the more refined M8500. The 8500 saw the addition of zone electronic stig adjust (dot shape) that allowed for optimal spot shape across several zones of the tube face, a feature first seen on the M9000. Software was refined, and reliability improved in ongoing development of the 8500/9500. Setup and installation remained very similar, zone stig adjust gave sharper focus out to the corners; the 8500 is now offered in the Ultra version with H scan to 152 khz, the 8110 remains mostly unchanged over the last several years.

Tim at E-Tech Phoenix

[email protected]

·
Registered
532 Posts
Noah,

Here you will find the throw calculator and some manuals:
http://beamer.xs4all.nl/

Tim,

I am confused as to the build date of the M8000. You state above that they were redesigned in Aug 94 with the single piece rear hinged heat sink. I have read prior posts that state the redesign occured anywhere from March 94 to June 94. One of my M8000's is from May/94 and it has the single piece heat sink.

Did they have multiple upgrades from May to August?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Tim has pointed out the differences in reliability between the two models. Like Tim, we learned about these (sometimes the hard way) and upgrade the 8000s that we sell to eliminate them. As far as picture quality goes, Tim did mention the small effect of zone focus and convergence, but more noticeably, the 8500/9500 added a blue gamma correction circuit that gives a more even color temperature across the entire gray scale range. We can build that into the 8000/9000 and supply it as an in-field retrofit.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Joelco,

What is the cost of the gamma correction and what is involved to do it? I am getting ready to chip up one of my 8000's from 1.19 to 2.0

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

Joel makes a good point regards gamma correction; I believe that was a redesign of the Video Input module, the board having the Source 01 bnc connectors; one would need to buy a new version of VIM to enable that, and perhaps a software chip-up also. I have quoted various dates regards the redesign; I originally believed it was April 1994 but I have seen July-built units with the two-piece heat sinks so I am not sure why that is.

Tim at E-Tech Phoenix

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
25,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark,

Thanks for the URL - very handy access to lots of pj's info.

The manual I gopt for EH 8000 has spec's for the TAW HD800 - is it the same chassis?

If so, does TAW change the lenses? Their throw data works out to a throw ratio of 1.16:1 (great for my RP setup), I just want to be sure about it.

Is there a way for a clueless person selling a pj to determine for me if it has the single or double heat sinks?

Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Noah,

TAW changed the lenses.

There is another source for the manuals of Marquees: www.madrigal.com

Download the pdf-file of the MP9 or MP8. They have the same lenses.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

The earlier two-piece heat sinks had black fins arrayed vertically; the newer single piece heat sink is shiny aluminum with horizontal fins visible thru the vent slots in back.

Tim at E-Tech Phoenix

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.