AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for asking what's likely to be a stupid question but I'm trying to figure out the difference between increasing contrast vs increasing Red, Green and Blue High by the same amount? Seems that they do the same thing but there must be some other difference.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/20880755

Sorry for asking what's likely to be a stupid question but I'm trying to figure out the difference between increasing contrast vs increasing Red, Green and Blue High by the same amount? Seems that they do the same thing but there must be some other difference.

Thanks in advance.

none whatsoever; the RGB High controls are Contrast controls separated by red, green, and blue

raising them together is the same as raising contrast

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I found this method useful a while back when calibrating an older Panasonic Cinema mode where light output was limited using user menu contrast control.

Increased all drv, then calibrated white balance using individual RGB controls

·
Registered
358 Posts
Does increasing RGB Gains of a 2pt white balance have an influence on the Gamma curve?

I've also found this method quite useful to increase the white level on my TV but I'm not sure if this affects the Gamma curve...

I subjectivelly felt the need to lower the Gamma slider on my TV to compensate the increased RGB Gains but never felt the need to so for the Contrast control.

I found that I can get a brighter white by raising the RGB Gains than by raising Contrast control before clipping... checked with AVS709 suite for white and RGB clipping.

After compensating with Gamma control to make things less bright in the mid levels of luminance I felt a noticeable increase in Contrast and depth in picture...

I have no meter.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Since you don't have access to a meter, it's impossible by eye to have accurate gamma curve. Like the others posters says playing up or down rgb gains affects gamma curve.

The only solution to be sure is to control your display with a meter to see the effect of raising or lowering rgb gains on the gamma curve.

The consensus is to always recheck brightness and contrast after doing greyscale to control color clipping, white clipping, eye strain and good black level

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.