AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a noob to all of this so please bear with me. From the info that I have gathered, the GD6U has the DTV tuner built into the set and won't need a box when DTV rolls around in the next few years. Is that correct? While the G4U will need a box to see DTV. Is my information corrcect? What am I missing here? Which one would you buy? Any and all comments and suggestions are welcomed.

One more question. I was doing some price research on pricegrabber.com and came up with some great prices. I'm a bit weary about purchasing a big ticket item like this over the internet. Should I be that worried, or am I just paranoid?

· Registered
605 Posts
LC-37GD4U -- no AVC box, speakers on side

LC-37GD6U -- no AVC box, speakers on bottom

LC-37G4U -- AVC box, speakers on side

Other than that, same displays. If you are going to mount it and hook up a bunch of components, get the G4U. That way you won't need to connect all the cables for all your components to the display. You'll just attach the AVC box and hook up every thing else to the AVC.

· Registered
2,540 Posts
The one slight misunderstanding I see is you got the impression that the GD's will only be able to work without a cable box sometime in the future. If your cable provider supplies CableCards, which they are supposed to be doing, they will work today. Call them to check. But without a cable box you will be unable to get on-demand video or the program guide.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies, guys and gals! So the cable cards will directly work with the GDs?

Also, any components that I have will have to plug directly into the GD display instead of the AVC box that comes with the G4U?

Lastly, where did all of you folks purchase your displays from? Online merchants or a brick and mortar store and why? Thanks again!!!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTT for any more tidbits of knowledge and any answers to my questions above, thanks!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any way to get the Sharp with the AVC box as well as the digital tuner? And if so, what model # would that be?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.