AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put all my equipment under the screen (being fooled by all the HT pix you guys posted) never concerning myself about the length of the runs and the difficulty hiding the wire.

I kept my laserdisc player. (Why bother)

Oh, and the mother of all screw-ups: I took the cover off my pj while it was still ceiling mounted and dropped it, yanking all the wires to the buttons out.

I converted my vacuum cleaner/mop closet to DVD storage, so I don't have anyplace for the vacuum.

I have failed to buy a back-up bulb so I will be cussing when it finally craps out and I have to wait for days to get a replacement.

What do you guys say?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I spent approximately 60 hours and 12 trips to Home Depot building a custom drop platform for my projector so I wouldn't have to use digital keystone correction in my setup, because I assumed it would totally ruin the picture. I built it with the works (sliding rails, scissor arms, loading springs, video cable tensioning, and a pulley system for raising and lowering) only to discover I could not tell the difference in picture quality between the lowered position with no keystone correction, and the raised position realigned and with keystone correction. The projector now remains in the raised position approximately 2 1/2 feet above the top of the screen even though I could lower it if I wanted to. It is not even worth the 20 seconds it takes to release a latch and let it down. I could have tried all this before building the platform, but I was so convinced that I needed to build it that I didn't bother.

Moral of the story - never make assumptions - always try out the 'theories' you read here first. :)

Chris

·
Registered
958 Posts
I made a nice wall-plate patch panel from aluminum plate. (detailed photos in my sig file HT link) Hooked all my in-wall surround speaker wires to banana plug connectors mounted directly to the plate.

I'm glad my receiver's overload protection circuitry works! :D

What an IDIOT!!!

Gordon

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JHouse
I put all my equipment under the screen (being fooled by all the HT pix you guys posted) never concerning myself about the length of the runs and the difficulty hiding the wire.

I kept my laserdisc player. (Why bother)

Oh, and the mother of all screw-ups: I took the cover off my pj while it was still ceiling mounted and dropped it, yanking all the wires to the buttons out.

I converted my vacuum cleaner/mop closet to DVD storage, so I don't have anyplace for the vacuum.

I have failed to buy a back-up bulb so I will be cussing when it finally craps out and I have to wait for days to get a replacement.

What do you guys say?
Actually I think quite a few of us (including me) have our projectors hanging from about the mid-point of the room, so placing the equipment under the screen is just as easy as the back. I don't even have room in the back to put it (the second row of seating is back there) and plus I'd rather not point my remote over my shoulder backwards.

As for dumb things, I did mount my speakers before testing them then realized they sounded better in different locations and had to remount them (and patch the old holes). Got a little excited and ahead of myself I guess...

- Cryo

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
My biggest mistakes:

I bought the Sony 10HT sight unseen. I got my money back on the projector, but I spent a lot of time setting up my room specifically for the 10HT with its very short throw lens.

Other big goof was worrying too much about "occlusion" (i.e. light hitting peoples head when they walked in front of the image). If they are walking in front of you, who cares if they cast a shadow on the screen, their bodies are blocking your vision of the image anyway. The net result is I wound up with my screen much higher than it needed to be.

Adding my fake acoustic absorption ceiling was also a pain in the ass. Nice results but TOO much $ and effort involved.

But the biggest mistake of all time for me was...

Planning my system around the Panamorph lens that never came

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mark haflich
I became an AVS forum member. This totally moronic action has led to an incurable addiction evidenced by my post count.
LOL!! Me too! I signed up last December just to look at options for a new TV. Now look at the fine mess you guys got me into. :rolleyes: :D

Gordon

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
First is buying stuff that I don't use too often like the Quadscan scaler, a Panamorph, and the PR-91. About $2500 worth of equipment that I don't typically use.

Second is leaving a bunch of 8 thru 13 year-olds in my theater alone. It took me about an hour to figure out what settings they screwed up on my HTPC and reciever to get it working again. Not as bad as it could have been.

Third was just yesterday, when I left my theater room I shut the door not realizing my dog was in there. An hour later when I went looking for my dog I discovered him there and he had done a nice job tearing up the carpet by the door with his claws. Probably have to replace that small section of carpet.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
I replaced Cave diving, spear fishing and underwater cinematography and videography with home theater. This resulted in me transforming my strong broad shoulders, with a little pot belly, ability to swim underwater for 3 minutes on one breath, with getting nauseous if I now swim 20 laps above water. Back then I risked my life doing an exploration dive at 360 ft. for 2 hours on scuba mixed gas and then decompressing in open water for 6 hours. Today I sit on the couch, too lazy to even use my treadmill in my home theater for 8 hours watching one movie after another risking my life in the slow progressive death of heart disease. For me if exercise isn't dangerous and life threatening with end results worth the effort, like a discovery or creating an accurate map of an underwater cave, then I just choose to sit and watch TV. I miss the adventure but I love my HT, Can't decide which death is better.

Dumbest thing I ever bought for the HT was I spent about $400, and spent a day wiring up a relay in my projector and special circuits in the screen so the screen would go up when the projector shut off and roll down when the projector would turn on. It was a novelty when I first installed it but after a day or two I shut it off and leave the screen down most of the time. Maybe once or twice a year I roll the screen up.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Bought a house that requested lots of physical abuse in order to beat the basement into HT submission. Next time I'll either build or find the right house.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
First thing on a Saturday morning (before coffee or breakfast), I decided to run the speaker cables through the attic and fish them down the wall.

Bad idea! Being that ambitious could make a guy careless. He might miss a joist while walking around and put a foot through the ceiling or something:

http://www.theaterphile.com/images/mishap.jpg

·
Registered
395 Posts
Goof #1 - spent way too much time over engineering a projector lift system that would raise and lower my projector as well as keep the projector out of sight and maintain the decor theme of the room with a lift that was customized to the room decor. Big waste of time - first the projector overheated from being encased and I had to build a ventilation system for the lift. Then the lift and/or the lift triggers would malfunction, so I had to devise override mechanisms to operate the lift independent of the electronics. Then of course the lift decorative features limited the operational capabilities of the lift, not to mention taking the projector down for any kind of bulb or projector maintenance was an all day affair. Major brain damage that was completely unnecessary. In my new HT remod, I scrapped the projector lift all together - no more lift headaches, no more projector overheating, easy projector access, and not one single complaint about the projector being exposed visually, in fact most people are so focused on the screen image, they completely forget about the projector being overhead.

Goof #2 - Trusting my HT remodeling professional to be an expert at both home remodeling and home electronics. The HT guys I have met seem to be either great at remodeling, but just ok with the electronic componentry OR HT component wizards, but unable to remod a lego house. My guy was great on the room, but somewhat clueless on the electronic components. Once I learned enough to figure out the electronics for myself, I realized that my sub was way underpowered for the size of my room and bottomed out far too easily, several of my video feeds were set up for simple video connection when either S-video or RGB component connections were available, my speakers were never set up correctly to optimize the A/V receiver's Dolby Digital capabilities, etc, etc. It's difficult when you are a newbie to know what technology or setup you will need for your HT, but there is no substitute for getting up to speed on the details of your equipment capabilities for yourself.

Mark

·
Registered
853 Posts
Not building my rear platform high enough. It is roughly 9.5" and I need 3 more inches. Now I am seriously considering another platform for just the rear couch to sit on. argh.....

Greg

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I spent a fair amount of money and time trying to get HD signals from LA with zero success that are effectively screened by a couple of big hills from my house.

At least I got and use my Panamorph, didn't step through the roof yet, and get a reasonable amount of exercise.

Most expensive doorstop is my Kenwood 5050M DVD changer.

My HTPC only gets minor use but is good as a backup when the main one is being upgraded/screwed up.

I've got more DVD burners than I need or use.

·
Registered
753 Posts
One time I told my wife what I actually spent on a piece of equipment.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Quote:
One time I told my wife what I actually spent on a piece of equipment.
I think we have a winner.:D Deny till ya die is my motto. "of course it was only 500 dollars honey." She thinks there is some price fixing going on at the HT stores.

·
Registered
384 Posts
"This is painful to remember". In my quest for the holy grail, in my front end speakers, in a span of less than a year I owned the following:

KEF 104 AB's, I had owned these for yrs and started the upgrade here.

ACI - Jaguars

B&W N803's

Revel Studios

Martin Logan Odysseys

finally ending up with B&W N802's and HTM1 center

"The GOOF"

While owning the $14,000 Revel Studios I kept saying to my self there was no bottom end, while there appeard to be some there was not enough. Gosh , even the 20 yr old KEF monitors had had more! Sold them in less than a week!

I had forgotten my installer set my Lexicon pre/pro to "SMALL" and had disconnected the Velodyne HGS15 sub. All others had the sub working EXCEPT THE REVEL STUDIO'S!!!

Probably the "best" I ever owned and I never got to hear them "right" cause I was too stupid and anxious to try something else. Had the sub been hooked up it would have been "nirvana" - STUPID, EMBARASSING, AND PAINFUL TO REMEMBER!

Dave

PS: The 802's will eventually go - Studios or Salons will replace them!

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys are killing me. This only proves what I have always suspected: our species really isn't that advanced.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JHouse
You guys are killing me. This only proves what I have always suspected: our species really isn't that advanced.
Joe,

Are you sure its the whole species, and not just us A/V geeks?

Palladin

No matter where you go, there you are

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, it's the whole bunch. The sad thing is these are some of the smartest ones.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.