AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to set up a universal remote for my parents. I bought them a harmony 880, but the buttons they need to operate the DVR functions of the HD DVR box are buried under layers of menus. This is too complicated for them. Basically I need a remote that has all the buttons of a cable remote, and all on one layer. Would I be better off making custom buttons for what I need on something like a MX-3000, or would I need a full blown AMX/Crestron setup, with a picture of my remote on the screen? Frankly, I'm not looking forward to either option, as they both seem labor intensive. Is there a company out there that has done something like this already? Have any installers already made a program like this for a customer?

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
The radio shack 15-100 is an excellent universal. It's big, backlit, and has all the buttons you need. It's also learning and has plenty of codes. You can program any button to do just about anything you want, whether it's an advanced code or a macro. You may be surprised at how well it works. See my sig for advanced programming instructions they don't put in the manual.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
What DVR box are they using? I have used the 880 with both a Motorola HD DVR from Insight/Comcast, and my DirecTV HR21, and I am able to get it do do everything correctly without relying on many soft buttons. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do the same.

If you can't figure it out, I would be willing to help. Send me a private message with the username and password and I can modify your settings for you. I have set up many different Harmony remotes, so I am getting pretty good at it.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
As Beerstalker mentioned, you should be able to customize the Harmony 880 so that the LCD command shows only the commands that they really need. You should be able to fit the 8 most used commands on one screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts