AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received an announcement of ColorFacts Pro 6.0. the first new version to be released since Datacolor acquired the company from Milori. The announcement lists no new features and touts a Spyder2 colorimeter. No mention is made of the Trichomat or the Eye-One.

Puzzling and not very encouraging.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
My bet is that the Spyder2 is probably as accurate, if not more so, than the Trichromat. The Trichromat is OEMed from GretagMacbeth's Sequel Imaging division (they bought Sequel a couple of years ago), and Datacolor is a direct competitor to GMB. Seems pretty logical to try to shift to one's own products if they are as good. Datacolor also makes a spectroradiometer (SpectroPRO), but I am not sure if it has been set to read projectors yet or not (it would be logical for this or a closely-related design to replace the EyeOne).

Also note that the OpticOne is OEMed from Sequel as well, IIRC.

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Milori supports all the sensors - obviously which sensors they resell is up to the parent company - who likely does not want to sell their competitors. They did say going forward that the favoured license scheme will be the golden dongle that lets you use any supported sensor.

The Spyder2 rates very well in competitive comparisons - even to the Beamer. Read some photo review sites for unbiased shootouts. It is not a trichomat sensor - it has seven edge/band pass filters and the octal sensor is a luminance sensor. But you need not buy a Spyder2 to get the upgrade - as the software upgrade is free.

I have an early beta of the new release and have not noticed new features - but Milori has said make sure to get your requests in (how they will achieve a new release in SEP with new requests is beyond me!). I did suggest they should read their own forum from last two years.....

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasmuzik
The Spyder2 rates very well in competitive comparisons - even to the Beamer. Read some photo review sites for unbiased shootouts. It is not a trichomat sensor - it has seven edge/band pass filters and the octal sensor is a luminance sensor.
I am working on my own comparison right now, though I am limited to using the EyeOne as my reference, rather than a true lab-grade instrument. Both of my Spyder2s track pretty closely, though I have not calculate Delta E coefficients yet.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Ursa

If you have access to the DVI EDID string - you can get what the display manufacturer thought the RGB colorimetry should be with whatever reference they use to get the number.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, what concerned me the most is that it's been over a year since DataColor acquired ColorFacts and over a year and a half since Milori released version 5. Version 6 seems, other than the inclusion of a different sensor, to have undergone no additional development. My experience with corporate takeovers is that, more often than not, the buying company kills or indefinitely suspends meaningful development on the products of the bought company. Since version 6 of ColorFacts seems to be little more than a stab at rebranding, I fear that's what has happened here as well.

Is Mark Hunter still associated with the product? I've heard very little from him since the acquisition.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Last I checked, about a month ago, he was. I think the SpyderTV represents a significant amount of their development effort the last year or so. It is essentially trying to do a pro calibration using just the basic controls.

Kevin - I am using bitmaps in a slide show as my source materials. Would it be worthwhile to try to tap the DVI EDID data as well in this scenario? I appreciate that it is a source of possible error, but it seems an unlikely source.

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Tom

Mark is in charge of home theater products at Datacolor. Cindy and Heath report to him I understand. Obviously DataColor is less willing to have their employees discussing products on public forums than Milori was - but they are very approachable on the phone and email if you have a problem.

I think indeed the SpyderTV development has had them redirected, hopefully they return their attention to making CF PRO a product for PROs.

Ursa

My thinking was to use the EDID as if it was the reference data and correct sensor readings based on it (optionally). Still need to figure out the correction math!

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
The challenges faced by the photo guys are different than what we face. Their displays are only CRT and flat panel LCD while they also are trying to measure print colors with a natural lighting source.

Many of us are trying to measure a great variety of lamp based displays with complex and variable spectral responses. We also have control of display gamut in some cases. I personally welcome more shootouts with a wide variety of our displays not more photo shootouts.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
Is Mark Hunter still associated with the product? I've heard very little from him since the acquisition.
Yes, I'm still here.

And don't worry about ColorFacts. The product is alive and well, and getting lots of love, especially lately. It is true that it was put to the back burner a little bit while we gave birth to SpyderTV, but ColorFacts is now back in the spotlight. In fact, we have a development timeline that covers BOTH of the next TWO versions of the product.

I know that the marketing bulletin was a little lacking in the details, but version 6.0 does have a lot to offer, especially from a value perspective.
  • NEW! Support for Spyder2
  • Support for about a dozen hardware meters FREE (normally > $2000!)
  • Support for four signal generators FREE (normally $800)
  • Inclusion of the ISF C3 Remote FREE (was $695 right up to this release)
  • ISF C3 Remote now supports European Pioneer Elite 3G plasmas
  • ColorFacts Pro will be available in German and French in addition to English.
  • New two-year warranty
  • Yes, and it will be rebranded as "Datacolor ColorFacts Professional"

There is more, but that's all I can say on a public web site (at least until release). I did want to assure you that ColorFacts is back again getting the attention that it deserves.

Did I mention that the 6.0 upgrade will be FREE?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Good work MARK. I take it you mean it supports European Pioneers rather than Elite's...afaik the Elite range is not available in UK but the new 6th gen units that are about to ship have C3 support.

When can we download this new version?

Gordon

·
Registered
491 Posts
Great to see you're alive 'n' kickin' Mark!

Quick questions:

a. Do you still monitor the Colorfacts forum (especially for feature requests)? Most of the time I feel I'll have a greater likelihood of spotting a unicorn there than a post from you.

b. I'd like to have my Eye One Monitor recalibrated (3 years w/o). Can you accomodate this?

c. I'm a license user. Can I upgrade to the dongle?

d. Will any code be rewritten for the CF 6.0 release in order to improve the low light performance of the Eye One Monitor? I've heard it's a matter of some simple standard math... non-propietary that is... ;)

e. Could you flex your muscles a bit and get GretagMcBeth to agree to sell the light diffuser seperately to your existing Eye One Monitor customers? Or even better, trade in for the new Accelerated Eye One Pro! :D

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
NiToNi,

I was told by GMB that the new accelerated Eye-One Pro only improves reflectance mode. This mode is not used in measuring a home theater display. It is used to measure color targets for color managing print production. They even said the improvement for that was so subtle as to be unnoticed unless you use an automated scanning table. I am guessing they did something to increase the lamp output or it could be a variable integration time mode.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Mark,

Good to see you post. Hope all is well.

I have to say that I just recently purchased an Accupel to go with my Colorfacts. This is a great combination for HDTV. But what is more important is I had a few difficulties getting CF to talk to the Accupel unit (ended up somthing I did) and the support from the CF team was super.

They also fad to send me a new domgle that supported the Accupel and the got it to me 2nd day for a trip I was going on to calibrate. Did I mention the dongle upgrade was free!!!!! (I paid the 2nd day shipping).

Keep up the good work.

Terry

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Did anyone else notice the ColorFacts forum is archived and not on the milori site anymore? Is there going to be a DataColor site integration?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hunter
Yes, I'm still here.
Hi Mark, good to see you on the forum again. Seeing you and Mark Foster (what is it about DILAs and guys named Mark :) ) post again has brought back a lot of memories of what I always think of as the "Golden Age" on this forum. Sounds like the new Colorfacts will be a great program. I hope to see you on the forum more often.

-Mark (the other Mark)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Ah....the good ol' days. ;-)

Don't get me all teary-eyed...

Yes, we are in the process of integrating the Milori site content to the Datacolor web site. This process will take some time. While that is happening, the old forum will be down, and the Datacolor support structure will ramp up on the Milori products. None of the content has gone anywhere...it just isn't "live".

By the way, if anyone is headed to CEDIA, stop by booth #28, and we'll show you the latest ColorFacts.

Or, just run the program while you are connected to the Internet. Shortly before CEDIA, you'll magically see a notice that a new version is available for FREE download.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Free free free, is this a new way of doing business? How long can this last ;)

Sounds good though, I'll take it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.