AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I'm shopping around for a new set and would like the largest direct view possible, and it doesn't need to be HD. This is because I don't have line of sight for a satellite and the cable company moves pretty slowly so I don't anticipate them carrying the signal anytime soon.

The best one I have found so far is the 36" WEGA that ends in "17" on the model number. The 40" WEGA is nice looking, but I dont feel like paying all that extra money for something I am not going to be using (HD).

Also, I don't need a tuner in it because it will be hooked up to a single S-Vid feed coming from a receiver.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

You can get a number of JVC or Toshiba 36" non flat sets for $800 range.

Regards

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Sony. But BEWARE: They all have the uneven brightness problem and you WILL see it eventually and it WILL drive you completely crazy.

The XBR line does not suffer from the problem, or at least, it's so slight you cannot spot it unless you are using a test pattern.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've worked on plenty of XBRs with uneven brightness, and plenty of non-XBRs with very even brightness.

Here's something to consider though. A 36" standard set is effectively smaller than a 36" HD-ready set. Why? The HD-ready set will put at least twice as many horizontal lines on the screen as the standard set, enabling you to sit closer; the standard set's picture will break up vertically at the closer distance. You might be much better off, now and in future, with an HD-ready set, even perhaps a 32".

Since you don't need the tuner, you might check into some of the "presentation monitors" - I believe Princeton may have a 36" and 32" without tuner - there are other brands as well.

Good luck

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The Sony people I talked with explained the XBR sets have a better tube, hence less uneven brightness. I have never seen one that had the problem as bad as the KV and lower models, which are just abhorently bad.

Why Sony cannot fix this glitch is beyond me. It' been like this for years. Since they started selling flat tubes! Panasonic and the others sure don't have it (not that I have ever seen or heard).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.