AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not heard anything in a while about the aSimilator so I was wondering about it's progress. DVD and NON-DVD versions should be out real soon yes?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Many are awaiting news on it but we'll have to wait until Tom is ready to announce something ...

Filip

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Maybe they are having some kind of a problem (manufacturing/software, bugs?). I also love to see that unit but I won't wait forever if HD Leeza or others come out fulfilling the expectations.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Hi Murat,

I guess you can call anything a problem... I would expect the delay is a result of both making sure that the unit produces a good image, and possibly delays in receiving some of the components in sufficient quantity.

There is no reason to think that any substantial problem had occurred.

I look forward to hearing some reports from actual users, as well as comparing it to the HD LEEZA.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if Tom would inform us about the status of the product. I know that there are many potential buyers here, like me, wants to see aSimilator on the market asap (or buy one without waiting some reviews to come) and we all like to know what's really going on and when it will finally be released.

·
Banned
959 Posts
what would you like him to say? I'm working on it and it will be out when we are done? If he knew when it would be done, he would say so.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Perhaps one baby caused delays in the arrival of the other. :)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James Bond
what would you like him to say? I'm working on it and it will be out when we are done? If he knew when it would be done, he would say so.
That's not a very professional approach. I know he might have some difficulties and don't want to promise anything that he can't keep, but I just say that if he is delayed too much and similarly priced competitors come up with a working unit 2 months before him, he will loose most of its potential customers. And as a potential customer I think I need to know.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Murat
....and similarly priced competitors come up with a working unit 2 months before him, he will loose most of its potential customers.
I'm sure this isn't news to Tom or his competition. It boils down to this: a lot of us here are going to be buying either an aSimulator or an HD Leeza. Both are late to market--both companies are being pretty tight lipped about a hard release date (likely not wanting to miss yet another promised date over something that they can't absolutely control). Both are going to have bugs--sometimes being the first to market with a new breed of product is a curse in a multi horse race, because even with just a few weeks of lag, the competition can learn from the inevitable first missteps of the "leader." Both products will get here...and I'll wager relatively close to each other. It would be sheer folly to blindly throw down your money on whoever's first out of the gate, but it's your money to spend.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Alex,

You present an interesting issue.

The first to market will get all those that are aching the most for the product.

However, the second to market learns all the issues with the first product and attempts to provide a product that does not suffer from these same issues.

But, if they were just firmware issues, the company can release a second firmware update by that time and correct it...

In short, I think the first few months of a product and who comes out before who is irrelevant.

What matters is that you get a mature product, with good features and that it works properly. I believe both products will give us that.

I think competition is great, as it decreases prices and causes the competitors to provide us with the most features at their disposal.

Just look at what happens when a company doesn't have competition for a long period of time - Faroudja basically degenerated into a usless pile of marketeers.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You both have good points that I can't disagree, but I just hate to wait :)

Also I know that Runco and maybe Faroudja have plans to come with new generation scalers within this year. I expect they will be cheaper than their current models but still more expensive than Leeza and aSim. Maybe they all go out at the same time, who knows.

·
Banned
959 Posts
if they could just put out day and date dvhs releases and bb would rent them, i could throw all my processors in the can. 1080i for everything!

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Sometime, someday James.

Unfortunately, many of us also watch NTSC (horrors!) TV/Cable and VHS tape (worse!) through our scalers. Much of the classic TV library will never be converted to 1080i. I enjoy parts of my collection like the Johny Carson collection. I have it in VHS and will likely not buy it again in another format. At best, it will be 'FOX-ized' to 480p and probably not to widescreen. I think scalers will be with us for quite a while.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
James,

This time in two years, I'll bet you anything this forum will primarily discuss how bad 1080i and how it needs to be processed, and that a new 1080p standard is just looming over the horizon...

There was a time when 480i was the peak of TV performance...

Murat,

At the AVS party at CES, Runco demonstrated a neat prototype for a scaler that they were working on. It was neat and produced a stunning (and very large) image with one of their HUGE projectors. They had problems with severe CUE issues. Still, it was a great demonstration regarding how 480i (in this case Star Wars AOTC) can be projected onto very large screen areas with proper scaling... I think 480i has a LOT of life left in it...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor

Just look at what happens when a company doesn't have competition for a long period of time - Faroudja basically degenerated into a usless pile of marketeers.
BAHAHAHA! good one!

Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor

This time in two years, I'll bet you anything this forum will primarily discuss how bad 1080i and how it needs to be processed, and that a new 1080p standard is just looming over the horizon...

There was a time when 480i was the peak of TV performance...

Your absolutely right, in fact I already don’t use 1080i any more I use 1122i or 560p custom resolutions. So you can bet there will be more than a few here that push the envelope with resolutions that will surpass 1080p and companies producing scalers that allow it.

This is why the aSimilator is so apealing to me, it allows you to make custom resoulutions thus push the current envelope. I just hope Mr. Strade get this box out the door soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.