AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a harmony smart phone hub, however my projector is away from the range of the hub,and the IR extenders they include don't reach (I need something about 25' long. Where can I get that (preferred wired)?

thx

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42  /t/1486064/whats-the-longest-ir-extender#post_23629399

I just set up a harmony smart phone hub, however my projector is away from the range of the hub,and the IR extenders they include don't reach (I need something about 25' long. Where can I get that (preferred wired)?

thx

Hi Cgott42

Take a look at this thread - some members have successfully used a 25' extension with their IR mini blasters.

Good luck!

-Sylvain

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Mine is probably 50'. Simply use CAT5 cable.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Cut the wire on your IR cable and then splice it into Cat-5 cable. It works, it's cheap, and it works... Wait, I said that already.

This is typical and many of the higher end systems include IR emitters that don't have 3.5mm mono jacks on the end because they are designed to be wired in this (or similar) manner.

I've used IR extenders at over 50' and IR emitters at 50'+ as well.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
I've terminated my CAT5 with proper RJ45 keystone jacks at each end. Then I made two Frankencables that are RJ45 jacks on one end and a 3.5mm female on one cable and a 3.5mm male on the other. Just have to make sure the Frankencables properly match the CAT5 colors on each end. The regular IR flasher plugs into the female 3.5mm patch and the 3.5mm male plugs into the extender.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts