AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit: Solved on July 11th. See below.

I use the latest ZoomPlayer version to play my DVDs, the latest Cyberlink video decoder, the latest spdifer, and the latest Haali renderer, along with Reclock 1.7b4.

(Note I have tried every other brand of these filters (Nvidia, Dscaler, FFDShow, VMR9 (renderless, regular), overlay, etc., many more.)

Setup includes the usual digital display (Sanyo PLV-Z3 via VGA). I can run it at nearly any refresh rate.

Video card: Nvidia 6600GT w/ latest official driver for windows XP (sp2 w/ all patches)

Tried the reclock settings in the FFDShow guide, no go.

I got it green once on another monitor (60hz fixed) with things around 59.980 or something using Powerstrip (latest). Powerstrip does not seem to have much of a fine control over refresh rates, it skips right over 59.940, won't let me choose it.

I've spent a lot of time tweaking the refresh rate back and forth between 57 and 62 hz or so. Reclock is yellow and green with red flashing.

Tried flushing the clock cache in reclock's settings.

Tried 75hz.

Any tips appreciated -- getting a little bit of tearing in any renderer without a 'green' reclock. Haali is better than any of the MS ones though.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Up. I thought this was a common problem.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solved it myself, thought I'd share.

60hz monitor refresh rate.

Reclock config: start/programs/reclock/configure ReClock

Video tab: uncheck 'determine frame rate of DVD's using built-in estimator'

Choose '30' in both drop-down boxes.... for DVD's and for other files.

Next: Play a movie, double click the reclock icon on the taskbar. Under 'Media adaptation' select: refresh rate/2

Let that run a while with various media.

Re-open reclock and set media adaptation back to 'auto (best).'

Icon is now green full-time. My theory is that forcing refresh rate/2 for a while builds a database for reclock to use.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
As far as I know if you're close to the refresh rate of the material it will be green.

E.g. running a NTSC movie at 72Hz and Reclock will show a green icon even though 71.928 is the "correct" refresh rate.

In regard to powerstrip the refresh rate and "skip" will depend on all your settings.

E.g. if you decrease your screen width in powerstrip, the "skip" will be different.

So it's a very itterative process to hit your prefered number.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, all of that works in theory, but not in practice, for me. See above for the solution, maybe it will help someone else out.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Not really in theory but if your display is locked to 60Hz then yes you have some more problems in the process.

I got a CRT projector which I can give whatever Hz I want.

So I feed it 71.928Hz for NTSC movies and 75Hz for PAL (live in PAL land
).

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The projector seems to accept a range of refresh rates, and it was not as simple as it was for you to get the green light - at any refresh rate. In these cases, the brute force approach I outlined of 'teaching' reclock what to do seems to work. I'm sure it would work for 75/25 with a refresh rate/3 setting also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts