Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the limit of these models?

can you put two 200 gig harddrives in a hs2000?

in a 50xx?

what are the limits?

can you put two 350 gig drives in these things?

you get the idea.

also, how threatening is it to put two drives in one showstopper.

anyone got a very professional way to install them?

does the extra drive and fan put undue strain on the power supply?

so far I've just kept it safe and put in a single 120 gig drive.

icecow

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Wow, where to start.

The limit on an HS2000 is 137GB per drive. You can put in larger drives, but the unit will only use 137GBs of it. So putting in two 200 GB drives (400GB) will yield you about 274 GBs of usable space.

On a 5XXX, the skies the limit (for now). Put in two 350GB drives will give you 700GB of usable space. I'm sure there is a limit, but nobody has found it yet.

There have been many people who put 2 drives in Showstoppers, so it shouldn't be too threatening or put undue strain on the power supply. I'm sure they were actually designed for 2 drives, but never implemented on factory units.

Finally, search around the forum, I'm sure you'll find a professional way to install them.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Slight correction from Ace's post:

You can only put one drive in a 5xxx series. We don't know why, but two drives don't work. In the 4xxx series you can put two.

So the max limit of a 5xxx is the highest capacity single drive there is. The max in a 4xxx is two of the highest capacity single drives. The max of a Showstopper is two drives with a limite of 137gb each.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Doh!!! That's right, 5Ks only support one drive, all previous models support 2 drives.

Maybe 2 drive support will be included in 5.0

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
In my HS2200... I took the advice of a previous post in a similar thread far, far away.

I once had the secondary drive on the front 2 pegs, zip-stripped to the EZ-Bake oven... but I found the heat to be a little excessive because I didn't want a noisy fan in there with them (plus there is a little hole on top of the HDD that says "Do Not Cover").

Now I have the secondary drive flipped over & screwed to the breather slots on the top of the metal case (internally, of course). I have found this to be a HDD Life-Saver. The whole top of the case becomes a heat-sink of sorts. It seems to run cooler than when I only had only one drive in there.

It involves a slight disconfiguration to the breather slots (where the screws go through the slots), but I plan on driving this sucker 'til the wheels fall off, so I can live with it.

I am sure if you search the forum, you will find pix of how each of these solutions are laid-out inside the box...

Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.