1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

BD70- profile 3.0

·
Registered
6 Posts
The one that costs less than $200. It better come quick if they want to have any chance of surviving!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sony BDP-S550, because it`s likely to be the first truly do-it-all standalone player (profile 2.0, 7.1 analog outputs, onboard decoding + bitstreaming of all audio codecs, LAN connection, and probably good DVD upconversion). That`s been my standard for a player to replace my PS3.

·
Registered
27,425 Posts
I agree with the above (SONY S550):

If the Sony S550 hits all marks as stated, it will be the player to own as it will have everything at a reasonable price. I believe Sony will release it with all features enabled, 2.0 and like the PS3, it will take over as the player for Blu Ray enthusiasts.

·
Registered
27,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimf15e /forum/post/14182779

The one that costs less than $200. It better come quick if they want to have any chance of surviving!

Blu Ray will survive fine, but forget a $200 player for a while. PS3 serves the low cost Blu Ray experience at a great price and has sold millions and millions of players..... and it is a great game machine to boot!

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I'd be willing to go over $200 if the SD performance was not a step back from what's out there today. Based on that it looks like the upcoming Sony line is the only one on the horizon that might do decent upscaling.

Does the un-announced Oppo player count in this?

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Of course we effectively had a sub-$200 player for one week (two weeks ago) with the Walmart $100 gift card deal when purchasing the $298 Magnavox BD player (Funai manufactured, profile 1.1).

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
What makes everyone think the new Sony's will be good at upconverting? Just a new revision of a standard chip, correct?

I do agree, the S550 should be a great player. I think/hope my Pioneer 51FD will make me happier though.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
i thought i heard that sony would be coming out with an ES blu-ray player as well. with our hopes for the S550, i wonder what the ES would add, and at what price premium.

·
Registered
906 Posts
We need a good full featured player at the $200 - $300 price point now.

In Canada the BD30 from Panasonic is still at $600!

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
Pioneer Bdp-51fd!

Sony 550 likely won't have source direct for 480i DVD/1080i BD unless its built by Pioneer, in which case why not just get the Pioneer?

·
Registered
27,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined /forum/post/14183810

Pioneer Bdp-51fd!

I would agree in one respect that it is the most anticipated, but likely the Sony will be the most purchased!

·
Registered
6,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/14183816

I would agree in one respect that it is the most anticipated, but likely the Sony will be the most purchased!

Nothing that is $599 will be the most purchased

But, I wouldn't be surprised if more people sacrificed the quality of their DVDs & 1080i BDs while simultaneously opening themselves up to AACS Online and targetted advertising in exchange for BD-Live features...

·
Registered
6,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/14183942

I'd put my money on a new Funai as being the most purchased. As for most anticipated my money goes on the Pioneer with their new 12 bit color (69 billion) capability...

That + source direct + no AACS Online seals the deal on the Pioneer BDP-51FD for me as well. Can't wait to see what that 12bit color upcon chip can do with the some of the BDs that have noticable banding like Appleseed Ex Machina or Superman Returns...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts