AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Besides the 2-head,2-laser rack redundant built in cooling lease-only Dolby Vision) The new 2015 30k lumen lasers.

That is the sweet spot for dci lasers this year.

Barco dp4k30-L confirmed List price 350 6P 3d.
another brand 30k lumens 2 piece 360 - who knew?

The Barco is a better bet for anyone wanting the very best HDMI 2.0 hdcp 2.2 4k/60 REC 2020.Their Alchemy unit which is integral is ahead of the game...Even their SHORT THROW 4k lenses are super sharp IF YOU LOCK THEM DOWN.

NEC Dolby Christie Everyone else must wait for Dolby Doremi next gen. IMS with hdmi 2.0 input, this company is notoriously slow to deliver the latest and greatest hdmi goods.

So think Barco. You will need a projection room to keep the chiller under the projector inside the pedestal.

In fact there may be no other rec 2020 option. Considering it's long lifetime - price is not so out there considering what you are getting.

They are even talking about dsp based (not hardware) HDR via firmware upgrade not Dolby Vision though.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Pity as those folks are well versed in output reduction/on-off boosting mods.

Quite a premium for the LASER units. I presume the NEC is 3P LASER only, unlike the Barco, wich you say is 6P?

It does push up the high-end, and entry to it.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Pity as those folks are well versed in output reduction/on-off boosting mods.

Quite a premium for the LASER units. I presume the NEC is 3P LASER only, unlike the Barco, wich you say is 6P?

It does push up the high-end, and entry to it.
6p:

Depends how badly you want expanded rec2020 gamut and if you want Bright 3d and reference 2d.

Otherwise the Barco Residential Prometheus will suffice.

I guess I have come full circle back to Barco 4k.... What the competition is doing in terms of HDMI the three stooges could have been more adroit....

As high as their contrast is, we improve it by 1,500-1, then The Old Depth FX have been refined to something akin to IMAX 70mm gamma- what Imax tweaked for HD mastered dci content, besides unsharp-mask to make wonderful looking near 70mm scenes in their GAME OF THRONES.

I conducted a study comparing the typically underexposed 35mm scenes of INTERSTELLAR with the Full Gamma 70mm segments, besides the rsolution improvement what knocks your socks off is the Gamma of 70mm. We have been rendering s-gamma curve lut files for years but the resolution we were using at cedia 2010 was too coarse, with higher precision I was able to replicate the 70mm Interstellar gamma via the same method IMAX used for Game of Thrones which you can see pictures how good it looked.

The Game of thrones was shot on medium frames, if IMAX and Dolby want to recycle TV content, they better start staging wide shots... The Giants looked unconvincing, the lfe of the giants and elephants was missing, but the midegt took on a much more personable screen presence. Who knew, that the midget would look better than the giants in IMAX.:D

So the thing is we can make the Brabus version of the Prometheus projectors with Superkontrast and 70mm virtual DFX gamma.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.