AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Samsung - UN55B8500 - 55" and I have a den area I am going to be putting it in. I want to hang it on the wall which is about 9 feet away from the couch, but then I need a stand to put the Receiver,Blu-Ray Player, XBOX 360 and the HD Cable box in. Since the TV is so thin it just seems logical that I should hang it on the wall, but run the wires inside the sheet rock wall and out a hole behind the stand which holds my equipment so no wires are visible. But then I feel like having a stand below it a few inches is stupid since the TV can just be sitting on top of it if its that close to it anyway? I can't figure out what to do, I really want it on the wall. What the heck do you guys do?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Put it on the stand.

If nothing else, it'll move it closer to your seating, as 9' is a bit too far for a 55" display anyway.

Apparently, hanging a display on the wall seems "cool" to many people, but they usually end up placing it too high anyway. Use the stand as it's designed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but can you guys recommend some simple yet stylish stands for a 40 incher LCD that doesn't look like it's from a dorm room? I would put my TV on a stand if I could find a decent looking one. Otherwise, I might have to mount it.

All the wood stands I've seen are like 22"+ deep, just seems kind of silly for a 3" deep LCD. None of my AV equipment is deeper than 13" either. Or the stands I've seen designed for LCDs look like they belong in a dorm room, with glass shelves on metal frames, just a mess with all the wires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
9 feet is too far for a 55 inch TV? I was not aware of that. Whats the point of having a thin LCD TV like that if its on stand that sticks as far out as a Tube TV? Seems like it defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBeardMan /forum/post/18219172

I just bought the Samsung - UN55B8500 - 55" and I have a den area I am going to be putting it in. I want to hang it on the wall which is about 9 feet away from the couch, but then I need a stand to put the Receiver,Blu-Ray Player, XBOX 360 and the HD Cable box in. Since the TV is so thin it just seems logical that I should hang it on the wall, but run the wires inside the sheet rock wall and out a hole behind the stand which holds my equipment so no wires are visible. But then I feel like having a stand below it a few inches is stupid since the TV can just be sitting on top of it if its that close to it anyway? I can't figure out what to do, I really want it on the wall. What the heck do you guys do?

Thanks

Man, I was in the same boat as you...I have a loft that I had a 47" toshiba on a nice black stand. I had all the components on the 2nd shelf; xbox360, ps3 and cable box. I bought the un55b6000 and also bought the samsung proprietary wall mounts. I know about viewing angles and tv heights, and I ended up hanging the tv aonly about 5-6 inches above the top of the tv stand. It looks pretty nice, and it does look good on the wall, but in retrospect, if I had not have already bought the wall mount, I would have just sat the tv on the stand.

It probably would look rally cool as it being soooo thin, it would loook nice from the side. My loft is right near the stairs, so ppl coming up the stairs would see that it was the new sammy led's and see just how thin it is. Hanging from the wall, it does not give the same effect, but still looks nice. I would have also saved $125.00 on not having to buy the wall mount either. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
45 Posts
hanging a tv on a wall i stupid. it's better on an stand that usually puts it at perfect height. aslo brings screen in line with speakers and closer to viewing experience.

unless you don't have speakers or any other ocmponents it doesn't make any sense.

the people who usually do it don't know better ans usually mount it way too high.

try it on a stand, realize how much you like it and let the "mount on a wall" idea fade away as the bad idea it is.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I would only hang a TV on a wall if space is a concern. you can get small A/V cabinets that will take up less room or do what we did and build shelves in to the corner of the room for the A/V equipment.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea /forum/post/18219280

All the wood stands I've seen are like 22"+ deep, just seems kind of silly for a 3" deep LCD. None of my AV equipment is deeper than 13" either. Or the stands I've seen designed for LCDs look like they belong in a dorm room, with glass shelves on metal frames, just a mess with all the wires.

While you may not have any 22" deep components now, you probably will at some point. How deep is your receiver? I wouldn't get a stand that was less than 22" deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBeardMan /forum/post/18219289

9 feet is too far for a 55 inch TV? I was not aware of that. Whats the point of having a thin LCD TV like that if its on stand that sticks as far out as a Tube TV? Seems like it defeats the purpose.

To get the full benefit of 1080p (all the detail), you should be abou 6' away from a 55" display. The recommended THX viewing distance on a 55" screen is 6.1'. The recommended THX display for a distance of 9' is 70.2"

There is no point in having a thin LCD, other than Marketing and people think it looks cool. Didn't yours come with a base? Use the base, put it on a stand and move it up toward the front of the stand.

Now, if you wanted to place your equipment in a rack that was located somewhere else, then you could mount your display to the wall (that's the point of thin) and have nothing underneath it (but don't mount it too high). Then move your seating up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Please man, do not go beyond 7 feet of viewing distance for that LED 55 ", uses a horizontal piece of furniture that serves as storage for your audio equipment.

This is a pain in the neck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife is pregnant and I am also concerned about in a couple of years when my son can walk, if i put it on a stand and he might grab the TV and pull it down? Is this a possibility? If so what can be done?

·
Registered
626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBeardMan /forum/post/18220437

My wife is pregnant and I am also concerned about in a couple of years when my son can walk, if i put it on a stand and he might grab the TV and pull it down? Is this a possibility? If so what can be done?

Put your son in a cage.

Just because super-thin LCDs are thin doesn't mean you have put it in a spot where only thin things can go just because your tv is thin.

Put it on the wall. Move the couch closer. Have everything in a small stylish(black) cabinet,with doors, below it.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:

someone, Please correct me if I'm wrong.. But on the few LCD Tv's I have seen come out of the box, There is a spot on the back of the tv you can hook a wire "most of the time supplied" so you can attatch it to the wall. That way, no one can pull it down or knock it over..

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveDeus_mx_AVF /forum/post/18219854

Please man, do not go beyond 7 feet of viewing distance for that LED 55 ", uses a horizontal piece of furniture that serves as storage for your audio equipment.

This is a pain in the neck.

Talk about way to high!! LOL.. You should move that tv down just above the top of the computers.. Nice set up for you man!! You are in electronic bliss LOL

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I have our LCD mounted about 5' above the ground just beyond the foot of the bed. Works great, we use a PC for all or video/DVR etc. PC is also an office machine with a computer desk.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
There are lots of stands available that have a vertical piece in the back that you can hang the tv on like a wall mount, keeps the set safe from being tipped over, makes hiding wires easy, and frees up the top shelf for gear.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/18222557

There are lots of stands available that have a vertical piece in the back that you can hang the tv on like a wall mount, keeps the set safe from being tipped over, makes hiding wires easy, and frees up the top shelf for gear.

I agree with Steve. This mixes the best of both! We've got a 3yr old and 1 yr old, so needs to be out of reach but don't want to hang on wall.

·
Registered
513 Posts

Quote:

We used this:

Safety 1st Flat Screen TV Lock

http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Pro...Screen-TV-Lock

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/18222557

Yup...I've got my 8500 mounted on a StudioTech stand/mount

and

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBeardMan /forum/post/18219172

Thanks

Did you consider going wireless...with your equipment across the room?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts