AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
No, that's what the volume control is for.
Surely there is a maximum seating distance because for example atmos speakers bouncing off ceiling at an angle means the sound would then travel down at an angle, so surely you have to sit inside the area that those angles emcompass (dome). The same goes for a sound bar's front left and front right surround, these rely on bouncing off the left and right walls at an angle, again surely you need to sit within the area that those angles would cover.... i am thinknig about getting samsung HWK950 but have held off purely because i don't know how effective it will be in my room and given i sit about 12ft away from where the soundbar would be.... so concerned i would be to far back to get full benefit of the front atmos and front left/right

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
You are correct that it is about angles when bouncing off walls or ceilings you need to know the angle that it is aimed at and how far away the ceiling or wall is. Then it would be simple geometry to figure out. My guess is at 12 ft you will be good unless your ceilings are low like under eight feet.

That being said most sound bars do not bounce sound off the sidewalls if the drivers are not facing the walls then they are using timing tricks to make the sound wider than the sound bar. these timing/phase adjustments always trade off some sound quality. These timing tricks can be done at only certain frequencies so it will depend on material how good of an effect you get. For instance they might not use these timing tricks in the vocal range and keep that coming more from the center.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts