AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a newbie here, and am looking into buying a LCD front projector, but I'm confused about a LCD front projector's capability to accept an anamorphic signal and to display the images properly. I know that any HD RPTVs and certain Sony Wega models support anamorphic DVDs.

Does any LCD front projector on the market accept the anamorphic signal from a DVD player and vertically squeeze the image before projecting it on to the screen?

I asked because a lot of posts here mention ISCO and Panamorph lens, and my impression is that they are anamorphic lens. So this leads me to believe that a front projector takes an anamorphic signal from a DVD player BUT does NOT squeeze the image before projecting it on to the screen. Is this correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Most projectors CAN display 16:9 materials in their correct aspect ratio by letterboxing the source into a 4:3 frame. For example:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Where '.' is a black pixel and 'I' is a pixel from the original source image. But, note that a large number of pixels are always off in the above image. Wouldn't it be nice if you could use all of the pixels in your projector to display this image? Your display resolution would be higher and you'd also get the maximum possible brightness from your projector.

But, if you just display a 16:9 image using all the pixels of your 4:3 projector, the image will look squished side to side. The ISCO and Panamorph both unsquish this image so that when you use all the pixels in your projector, you get a true 16:9 display.

So, in net, you don't NEED an ISCO or Panamorph to display DVDs in 16:9, but if you use one you can get higher resolution with more brightness.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some LCD projectors have 16x9 LCD panels and can display Anamorphic DVD's. The following LCD projectors: Sony W400Q, Sony 10HT, and Sanyo PLV-60 have 16x9 panels. Other LCD projectors with 4x3 panels will letterbox Anamorphic DVD's or you must use a panamorph lens to use all the pixels. I have the W400Q and have a choice of Normal (4x3), Zoom, and Full (Anamorphic).

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.