AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have talked a lot about the best vertical resolution for different projectors and everyone has an opinion, but I'm wondering about something else.

I have a 7" CRT projector (NEC GP-3000) which I'm currently filling a 16:9 screen at a resolution of 640x480. I realize that this is a 4x3 multiple on a 16x9 screen, which seems to be maybe incorrect. I have heard a lot of people run at 720x480 (DVD resolution?) and 848x480 (a 16x9 ratio?).

What I'm wondering is what is the best pixel ratio to run under what circumstances and why you think that. Furthermore, how do you then configure your DVD player to behave properly at one of these "other" resolutions. Mine currently seems to behave just fine with 640x480 on a 16x9 screen.

As always, thanks in advance...

------------------

Barry
http://www.newton.org/theater.html

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Scince this post is occurring in the HTPC forum, I am assuming that you have HTPC as a DVD playback device. i would then reccommend that you run it at 1080x720 for the best resolution to match the capacities of that particular NEC unit. i have some of the 7" rated tubes from the same unit right beside a 8" MEC tube from a E-Home Marquee 8500LC,and the difference in surface area on the tube face is so small as to be totally negligable. So, it is capable of a very decent image. I have owned and played with 4 GP 3000's. I have never used one extensively, but am fairly familiar with them.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm using an HTPC to drive the projector. I have run it at 800x600, but right now 640x480 seems to give the better image. I haven't gotten around to trying others, but I plan to.

However, the question I'm trying to get at is about alternate resolution ratios for widescreen applications. Anyone?

------------------

Barry
http://www.newton.org/theater.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.