AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the story with the LCD market right now. Is everybody just waiting for the new shipments before they make their moves? I am very new to the market but from what little research I have seen is this:

Sony: Clouding Issues

Samsung: HDMI Handshake issues

Sharp: Banding Issues

All have yet to hit 120Hz.

I want a 46 inch 1080P display and will use it ONLY for gaming and HD-DVD or BluRay. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Samsung LNT4665F until I found out what horrid problems it is plagued with HDMI issues.

I am DYING to get a new T.V. because I am going from a 19 inch SDTV to my first "decent" TV and will start building my HT around it. Is it worth waiting for the new models or can I jump right now? I have tried asking these questions at many forums only to be told to come here to AVS and ask. From poking around the forums it seems everybody is just waiting, but if anybody has any input I would love to hear it.

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheat_Thins /forum/post/0

Whats the story with the LCD market right now.

Here's my opinion. LCD manufacturer's were aggressive with marketing, features,

and building plants and wanted to move up to the larger plasma tv sizes in 2006. By many

accounts, they had success with shipments, revenue, and market perception.

All this rushing and new plants seems to have had a downside: quality issues.

LCD vendors are still rushing headlong to send even more features and even

larger sets out to market. The headlines have plasma market share declines, and

vendors getting out of the plasma business. Meanwhile, at least one plasma vendor,

is planning to hit back at an LCD weakness: black level.

I think this summer and fall will be a great time to be a flat panel TV shopper.

LCD's have had a while to work on quality and issues, and plasma is hitting

back to compete aggressively.

The new LCD models will give you a price advantage for the existing models.

Competition from improved and existing plasma's are another form of

competition on price and features.

I bought an LCD in January. For the features I wanted and timing, it worked

for me. Were I in the market right now, I would wait and see what happens.

That said, for you, the biggest benefit and impact for your decision is right

now. You are on an SD CRT and the most dramatic improvement is

available to you right now. In my opinion, subsequent jumps once you are

already appreciating HDTV are not as substantial. You talk about home theater,

but you could also test the waters with a smaller set eventually destined for

another room in your house, then go after the larger/better home theater

TV later. A good idea may be to never by two flat panel TV's in the same

year. Good luck!

·
Registered
380 Posts
One big thing is waiting to see the new LCD flat displays that use LEDs for the backlight rather than the usual CCFL. I'm actually hoping to hear more news on that front myself. I'm also looking for a 1080p flat panel display in the 46"-50" size range. Pioneer's new "KURO" plasmas have generated quite a lot of hype and while they are still a bit pricey, they are not nearly as expensive as many of us thought they might be. But while the Pioneer plasmas may be able to deliver SED-like contrast and black levels, one thing they cannot deliver is the new xvYCC color space. I'm personally looking to be as future-proof as possible when I buy and if possible and available, I'll be looking for a display that can accept and show the xvYCC color space and 30 or 36-bit Deep Color. So far, there's only the 70" LCD from Sony. It uses Sony's version of a LED backlight that they call "Triluminos". The downside being it's $30,000 MSRP

So, I've heard news that Samsung is bringing LED backlight LCD flat panel displays to market, but I haven't got the latest info on that. I'm positive that Sony is moving that way too. Actually, Sony seems to be the strongest backer of the new xvYCC color space. They've dubbed it x.v.Color for their own products. I haven't seen xvYCC products from any other company so far. Sony has the 70" LCD I mentioned and a handful of HD camcorders that record in the new x.v.Color color space. Pretty cool really since that actually gives you some xvYCC content to watch!

I like the idea of the new color space combined with the finer gradation of color offered by 30 or 36-bit Deep Color. Together with 15,000:1 or higher contrast and 1080p resolution, having these new color standards basically offers the opportunity to capture and display images that have all the detail that the human eye can perceive. Phosphor-based displays like plasma, SED and CRT cannot reproduce the full xvYCC color space gamut. They will always be limited to something around the Rec.709 color gamut. And even then, most phosphor-based displays are actually only producing the sRGB color gamut. LED or laser light sources are basically a necessity for reproducing the xvYCC color gamut. As such, LCD, LCoS and DLP will be the technologies most likely to bring us this new level of color detail.

Here's hoping we get more news and announcements about LED backlight flat LCD displays soon!

Jon

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information, where can I poke around to become more knowledgeable about color space? I feel dumb coming to these boards because everybody knows so much! But that is a good thing.

I just fear that when all these new displays come out I will get the pleasure of paying $4000+ instead of the $3000 range that I am currently aiming for.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheat_Thins /forum/post/0

From poking around the forums it seems everybody is just waiting, but if anybody has any input I would love to hear it.

If everyone was waiting there wouldn't be such long problem threads.

I would suggest trying the Sony 46V2500 or 46V25L1 (@ Costco). I recently returned a Sharp with banding for the 46V25L1. I really wanted to keep the Sharp, but after 2.5 months the banding on panning shots finally got to me. I don't see any problems with clouds on our Sony. There are good prices on it right now. Get one from a place with a good return policy in case you do have a cloud problem. From what I've read and seen, it seems like there are more cloud-free Sonys than there are banding-free Sharps. The Sony picture can be adjusted to look every bit as spectacular as the Sharps. Another TV that people are not having clouding or banding problems with is the 46" Mitsubishi; however, they do seem to have a somewhat common problem (power supply making cricket noise?), but at least it can be fixed.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
The train goes by but it never stops. You have to pick your spot and jump aboard. I bought an 62" HD CRT about 5 years ago because the technology was uncertain. It works really nicely and I intend to keep it for another 2 years and try to get a high quality 55 or so inch HD LCD which I hope will be under $3,000 at that point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.