AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got limited space in my entertainment center, only 30" wide and was looking for a 16:9 HDTV that would fit. So far I'm coming up empty. Has anyone come across anything that meets this criteria?

I have a feeling I'll be shopping for a new EC to go with a direct view.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
375 Posts
Check out the 30" Samsung at Costco. Sells for 1399.

Sampo might have a 30 incher as well but check out their website or maybe UBID for their specs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Samsung is 35"+ in width. I have searched everywhere and the narrowest 16 x 9 is the Princeton Graphics AF3.0HD @ 32" (discontinued). I measured this set and it is 32" wide at a point 8" from the front edge. It tapers both front and back from that point. This set is also quite deep (23") and the connectors protrude from the back surface, they are not recessed.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
How about the Sony/Sun/SGI GDM-FW900 16:10 monitor (24" diagonal)?

It does not have S-video or component in, but it will handle any RGB signal an external box can throw at it. Boxes are available to convert other inputs to RGB if you have to have them.

I would rather have a small clear picture than a bigger fuzzy one. With a dot pitch of .25(?) it seems that would give a much better pic than .90+.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
There are lot of home enterntainment centers out there, or you could do what I did for my father. I paid a local carpenter who had his own shop at his home, I had him construct a Cherrywood entertainment center to go with dad & moms other cherrywood furniture.

It was a Fathers Day gift which he cherished until his death, always telling me I really used my head in getting what he wanted the most, and something he would not have to argue over with mom. My mom (living) always liked/likes furniture to 'match' so when dad bought a non-cherrywood entertainment center they had some heated arguments over it.

It will soon be fathers day treat your self to a entertainment set that will accomodate a bigger HDTV, believe me I had a smaller 16 X 9, moving to a bigger one was very satisfying over having to watch that small image.

If you want custom wood as I did find a carpenter that works out of his house, they are a lot less expensive than a contracter. Folow your heart on this one, 16 X 9 is a nice view. I have a 'in screen' view of 19 inches vertical height and 33.75 inches of width in my table model RCA F-38310 I sit 5 feet away with silver serpent cables for DVD player the view is very satisfying.

Think about what I said, it's the future of entertainment at *your* home or apartment, for a few years or 30 years. I have a tube set not a RPTV. Good luck on your well thought out decision! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.