AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally got to the point where I can reliably burn dvds of my digital camcorder videos (it took a long time to get here!), and now I'm wondering about adding labels to the shiny new dvds I've created. If I pick up a garden variety dvd and cd labelmaker at city circuit, what exactly does it do? Does it just print out adhesive labels (using your printer) that you then peel off and stick to the top of the dvd? If so, wouldn't that sometimes interfere with the proper operation of the dvd in the player? Is this dependible or will it sometimes turn your dvd into a coaster (I've got enough of those, thank you!).

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
You put the sheets into a printer and print out your labels. Then peel and stick. If your kit came with a piece to help you center the label that's even better.

I have used labels on CD's for years with no problems at all. As long as they're good quality (NEATO, Avery, etc) you should not have any problems. The label should be perfectly centered to keep the DVD spinning correctly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There are some low cost DVDs that already have a labeled surface as well...You might look into those...The last batch I bought was $89.00 for 100 (I think)...ATDiscount.com...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Try a label or two on your not so precious DVD's first - I've heard that sticking labels on DVD's is a big no-no as it alters the reflectivity of the media and can make your discs unreadable. Also there may be issues with extra heat build up as well.

I don't know any of this for sure - I'm just going on what I have heard - it may be just old wives tales....

Actually, just thinking about this issue - I might try sticking a label on a couple of DVD's I have that don't read very well - it might just improve things - who knows!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I printed some labels for a DVD+R back up (DVDXCopy) of Little Mermaid I made the other day. The labels were Avery and the I used one of the "stomping" type aplicators. The Verbatim DVD+R disk packaging did have a warning about not using labels. I figured it was only a couple bucks so I'd give it a shot. Well... So far no problems. It works the same now as before. I doubt there are any long term problems but you never know, the adhesive could be a problem later on....

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I printed out 'neato' labels and applied them with the 'neato' applicator onto 8 dvds. They all read fine so far, and I suspect they will be fine in the long run too.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
The other possible problem with labels is eventually they all start to peal off, and that can ruin a disks reflectivity. I think its better in the long run (and possibly cheaper too) to just get a CD/DVD label printer and print the image straight onto the disk.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by chap
...I think its better in the long run (and possibly cheaper too) to just get a CD/DVD label printer and print the image straight onto the disk.
Where can you get one of those??

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.