AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right area to ask this question, but what is the video quality of the X-Box 360 as Media Extender?

Does it transcode video from the server (eg. the PC running Media Center) or does it stream it directly and you see 100% original video quality?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How can I tell if something is being transcoded?

I'm not using any transcoding software (like Tversity) or anything like that. I'm just using straight Windows 7 Media Center.

·
Registered
585 Posts
A clean install of Win 7 without any additional codecs installed, should be straight native. It's when you start installing stuff like the Divx 7 tech preview that the line between native and transcoded playback is crossed.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
well even with the divx preview the quality is pretty good.... i mean if you have a good source and a good display, the means of getting it there is pretty moot, the xbox will perform as well as the source in most cases, especially on a vanilla install.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
for TV recording, it is full quality...no transcoding (HD and dolby digital intact). MP3 music and MP4 video also match the source.

If it is something that 7MC won't natively support, it may transcode it. Still, quality is quite good.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng /forum/post/18314616

How can I tell if something is being transcoded?

I'm not using any transcoding software (like Tversity) or anything like that. I'm just using straight Windows 7 Media Center.

best indications are a network output bandwidth is smaller or you have substantial CPU usage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i use shark007 and divx 7 tech preview...

thats on my clean win7 box...i also have two atsc tuners in that pc

everything plays perfect and looks and sounds just as good as it does on the pc...mkv's at 1080p to OTA 1080i...

i love it and it allowed me to move the pc to a different room, its a big beast...and the cooling mods i've done to the 360 (bought it broken so went ahead and helped out the cooling after i fixed it) made it quieter than my pc also...

pc also has PlayOn installed and that lets me stream all my flash video's from hulu or southparkstudios....so i'm a pretty happy camper with my 360 as an extender

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane HTPC /forum/post/18319443

everything plays perfect and looks and sounds just as good as it does on the pc...mkv's at 1080p to OTA 1080i...

Of course if you use the Divx Tech Preview, you miss out on two of the biggest reasons to use mkv in the first place: multiple audio tracks (such as commentaries) and subtitles.

In my experience, it also in the past had major issues with audio on both the PC and extender for me, and oh, on the PC with the newest release I tried, there were major aspect ratio issues where it never showed the proper ratio.

Honestly, I'd rather deal with the video quality degradation that transcoding gives on the extender, and stick with ffdshow-tryouts and the Haali splitter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts