AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years everybody has occasionally noticed that during the news hour(s) all US networks usually report the same stories at the same time of the hour. I know some of the reasons for this, though I don't necessarily agree with them.

Now, thanks to the miracle of DBS and out of market locals, I am again seeing that networks are hiring almost "cookie cutter" models of staff and using similar sets and tempo.

While this model doesn't always remain constant, it seems more than coincidence. NBC Tampa looks like NBC Buffalo, NBC Denver, ect. I wouldn't know I was watching out of market except for the commercials and an occasional local news story.

Maybe this is the REAL reason broadcasters don't like distant locals. It's not just that they fear the larger markets will take away ad revenue. It's that they don't want you to see that to save money there is actually very little true news reports from smaller markets, and larger markets too to some extent. They are just glorified script readers for network news feeds. Often, even the jokes are the same!

I really appreciate Star Choice. Even though the local news stories do not effect me directly, it is refreshing to actually see a story reported correctly once in a while.

With all the ability to get news that we have today, I feel that we actually have less real news reported than ever before. I can't count the number of times a "story" failed to answer the who, what, when, where, how. But I am very unhappy when they proceed to tell me the why, when they actually have no clue. Not to mention failing to follow up on obvious points.

One such lesser example, "Terminated workers from the now closed Cypress Gardens will attend a special job fair on Tuesday. You will recall that Cypress closed last week.....Now you will recall that there was a similar job fair for the workers of XYZ last year."

Ok. How many workers, what type of job skills, who is recruiting, ect.? They missed the story! It isn't that there would be a job fair. The story was that displaced workers were looking for a job.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.