Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know what the deal (the real deal) with the grey bars is? I have complained to Mitsubishi but am now waiting on a call from a supervisor. This whole thing is really bothering me. I am waitiing to purchase my screen and am contemplating some electric masking for 4:3 viewing but am afraid that the gray being projected on the masking will look like crap.

Any help or suggestions would help. Are there any HD receivers out there that allow you the choice of black bars (and what are their prices) I just blew close to a grand on the HD5 and now will probably junk it for something else.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the mits HD5 and thought the grey bars were a selectable option in the setup menu. I think you can go through the setup menu to av preferences to change them to black.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The Toshiba DST3000 and Hughes E86 are exactly like the Mits HD% EXCEPT that they provide the option for black bars. This option was evidentally removed with the 5099 firmware upgrade. Search for 5099 and you will find several long threads regarding this demise. Apparently, Mits thinks black bars are not good for you. I love the black bars on my DST3000.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
There is a hack to change the gray bars black; but the story is, the gray bars cause less burn in. Try doing a search at the Home Theater Spot http://www.***************.com/cgi-b...ultimatebb.cgi

I use the stretch mode when viewing 4x3 programming. Looks a little funny for a while, then you don't even realize the picture is stretched.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I believe the 5099 update reversed whatever you had for the black/gray bar option. I had a Hughes E-86 at the time of the upgrade and had the black bar option. The 5099 removed the option. Since then I swapped out Hughes receivers and the one I received did not have the option. But shortly after getting this new receiver, DIRECTV downloaded another 5099 upgrade for those receivers that didn't get it the first time, and now I have the black bar option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Teeps
There is a hack to change the gray bars black; but the story is, the gray bars cause less burn in. Try doing a search at the Home Theater Spot http://www.***************.com/cgi-b...ultimatebb.cgi

I use the stretch mode when viewing 4x3 programming. Looks a little funny for a while, then you don't even realize the picture is stretched.
I have searched the spot and can not find the hack. Can you be more specific or have any additional information? This would be a HUGE help!!!

Kelly

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I think Teeps may have misunderstood the issue. Theres hacks (service menu adjustments) for Mitsu's tv's themselves when watching on the 480i inputs to turn the sets gray bars more black but thats not the same as the issue with the Mitsu SR-HD5 HD receiver itself and the lack of a black bar option after the last software upgrade, which is being discussed here.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I recently received an SR-HD5 as a replacement for my ailing Hughes E-86, thinking that they were the same box inside. However I come to find out that the SR-HD5 only has grey side bars and no option for black. The unit took the 5104 upgrade last night, and still no option. Has anyone found any way to switch the grey bars to black, or should I just get another receiver?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.