AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speculation mounted over the last several months that NEC would finally produce an HT1100 or HT2000 or whatever that would be a 16:9 HD2 or HD2+ with the new wheel. This was a bust and I can't begin to tell you what a disappointment this has been to me and I suspect to others.

David Bott (I believe) in the latest edition of the Home Theater Builder magazine exhorts us to talk to the manufacturer's, making our requests known. OK then, given the great performance of the HT1000 and avid spokesmen like guitarman, NEC should step up to the plate. Dear NEC, please reconsider your position and produce a 16:9 HD2+ machine. Don't force me to buy something else!

Will anyone join me in an e-march on NEC headquarters? Let's storm the walls and demand that they do the right thing.

·
Registered
20,725 Posts
Hey - I need to use my HT1000 for at least 2 years before NEC tempts me to buy something new. Just be glad that pj's actually seem to be making large technological strides forward. In the world of digital camcorders, 1/2 the new models are actually worse than the ones they replace ( smaller ccd's, worse low light performance etc. ). Get an HT1000 and chill for a year of two. Or buy a BenQ8700.....

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jkirk
Will anyone join me in an e-march on NEC headquarters? Let's storm the walls and demand that they do the right thing.
IMHO, NEC is trying to carve a niche in the HT market, and the HT1000 was something to get their feet wet. While the HT1000 was/is an excellent performance/price benchmark, it seems setting a similar HD2 or HS2+ benchmark is not as easy. It might be because the HT1000 has stood on the shoulder of many other refinements we take for granted. Similar refinements and cost savings are not yet available in the HD2 or HD2+ technology. NEC might also be a bigger ship in the sea of HT projectors, making it a little less nimble as far as getting to market quickly.

I've gotten the impression NEC is not close as far as any new product surprises. It may well be they would rather theit next generation HT1000 be a HD2+ rather than a HD2, as folks are already discounting the HD2 performance benchmarks.

I was hopeful that the HT1000 platform was a little more flexible, and the HD2 chip might be an easy upgrade. But what do I know? ;-)

One last point I would make. Despite a couple of small bug issues with the HT1000, NEC basically did it right. They produced an awesome projector that cover many bases very well. I would not be surprised if NEC wanted their next generation projector to also fulfill or exceed our expectations, and given the size and corporate culture at NEC, it's a slow process.

Enjoy the HT1000. Save up for the next irresistable benchmark product. Hopefully the HT1000 will be one of those projectors to hold it's value for years to come. It sure makes a picture worthy of high resale value.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.