AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not having studied the pricing trends in depth but merely by reading this forum, here's what I see:

There is price stratification going on.

Panny, Pio, and Fujitsu are trying by tooth and nail to keep the prices up, justifying them (perhaps rightly so), by PQ improvements, and trying to sell to folks with cash/cutting out internet sales (Fujitsu). Case in point - new Pio 50" - MSRP $14 grand???. It will street maybe for $9K in 2004, but where is the predicted 25%/year price drop?

To get the lower prices, you have to look to Costco, where you can get plasmas with poorer PQ.

Are we seeing Acura/Honda and Lexus/Toyota-type differentiation here?

Is the 25%/year price drop prediction gonna happen for the top-quality plasmas?

Anybody care to comment?

Just no flames, please. The above is by no means an analysis, just ad-hoc impressions of a wannabe 50" plasma owner who thinks $8 grand is too much for a next-generation 50" display.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Price drops are a stair-step function, not a smooth curve.

I predict Panasonic will upset the higher-end apple cart first, because if they don't, Samsung is going to slaughter them. This is not because Samsung can match Panasonic on picture quality, but because they will slaughter them anyway.

Fujitsu also has the ability to make a move at a moment's notice.

Pioneer, which makes its own panels and such, seems to be on another planet right now. It is bizarre to even have something appear to be more expensive.

Mark

·
Registered
520 Posts
It seemed to take personal computers about ten years (80-90) before they began their decline to appliance levels as well. More features and power each generation has been the main thing holding those prices at their current point. Also, since most of the panels are made in Japan, the depreciation of the dollar vs the yen may be having some effect.

Mort

·
Registered
72 Posts
Another factor is exchange rates. Check out what has happened in the last couple of weeks with the dollar and the yen. If the value of the yen surges up 10%, then Panasonic has automatically given you a 10% price drop by not increasing the prices on their panels.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree with Mayhem.

With global economies the way they are, why not announce a price slightly more than you competitors. Should markets change, you are prepared. If not and you go into production, you can still lower your price to meet your competitors with no worse for wear.

At the very least the "elitest" might just give you a look simply on price. Who knows, you may actually impress them.

Anyway, I seriously doubt the Pios will be released at those pricepoints.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.