AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont understand, they released Superman Returns on both formats the same day, but now they only released Poseidon on HD-dvd. There is no mention of a release date for Poseidon on Blu ray so i had to bite the bullet and buy the HD version. This sort of pisses me off, this is a fairly new release, why not put out both versions on the same day. They aren't supporting both formats equally in my mind untill they do (and not 6months to a year later for the blu ray version). Is this some sort of marketing ploy to get people who would prefer the bd verision to double dip?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Microsoft(with thier software background) basically provided free authoring tools for HD DVD which makes it easier for Warner (and others) to provide extras such as PiP and other interactive 'special features' on the HD DVD release. This is not yet available on blu-ray, so rather then release an 'inferior' blu-ray version, Warner has opted to hold back the release of some thier blu-ray movies.

For other more high profile movies, they are actually delaying both versions until the blu-ray version is ready (example being Harry Potter).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU /forum/post/0

Microsoft(with thier software background) basically provided free authoring tools for HD DVD which makes it easier for Warner (and others) to provide extras such as PiP and other interactive 'special features' on the HD DVD release. This is not yet available on blu-ray, so rather then release an 'inferior' blu-ray version, Warner has opted to hold back the release of some thier blu-ray movies.

For other more high profile movies, they are actually delaying both versions until the blu-ray version is ready (example being Harry Potter).

that makes sense except Poseidon does not have any pip features. Special features are as follows

Poseidon: A ship on a Soundstage- complexities of making a modern

adventure movie

A shipmate's Diary: A film School Intern's experiences on the set

Poseidon: Upside down: a unique set design chronicle

The History channel documentary: Rogue waves- explore the mystery of the

powerful phenomenon of Nature

Theatrical trailer

other features: Dolby True HD

Dolby Digital Plus

Subtitles English, Francais and Espanol

I copied the back word for word besides video specs which we already know

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well there is also that Dolby TrueHD track, which Warner has received some fairly heavy criticism for releasing HD DVD titles with TrueHD but omitting a lossless track from the blu-ray release. They may be in fact adding TrueHD or LPCM to achieve parity.

In the future, Warner releases will be on thier proprietary TotalHD disk, so by definition they will be available on the same date on both HD DVD and Blu-ray.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvedder /forum/post/0

that makes sense except Poseidon does not have any pip features. Special features are as follows

Poseidon: A ship on a Soundstage- complexities of making a modern

adventure movie

A shipmate's Diary: A film School Intern's experiences on the set

Poseidon: Upside down: a unique set design chronicle

The History channel documentary: Rogue waves- explore the mystery of the

powerful phenomenon of Nature

Theatrical trailer

other features: Dolby True HD

Dolby Digital Plus

Subtitles English, Francais and Espanol

I copied the back word for word besides video specs which we already know

Poseidon HD DVD has IME. That would explain why it wasn't released on Blu Ray at the same time.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Hickey /forum/post/0

Poseidon HD DVD has IME. That would explain why it wasn't released on Blu Ray at the same time.

My bad it wasnt listed under special features, but right above it is In movie Experience. Does this mean i should return this because warner will eventually release it on Blu ray or is there a chance they won't release it on Blu ray

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
It'll come to Blu-ray eventually. Warner is holding some of their titles up for BD interactivity to mature, and the rest are being rolled out now to catch them up to their HD DVD catalog.

Now the question is though, is Poseidon a movie you want to really own?

(hey, just kidding - personal preference is everything)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Wait, why exactly do you care?? You have the movie on HD DVD already I assume and it's got trueHD plus IME so what's the problem? Is it the principle?? Not to mention you called Warners a bunch of greedy bastards with no basis whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlreddragon /forum/post/0

Wait, why exactly do you care?? You have the movie on HD DVD already I assume and it's got trueHD plus IME so what's the problem? Is it the principle?? Not to mention you called Warners a bunch of greedy bastards with no basis whatsoever.

I think many here own both formats as avid movie enthusiasts, but we may favor one format over the other, in this case blu-ray. In this particular circumstance the OP may wish to hold off on this movie and wait for the blu-ray release if it's not such a compelling title for him that he has to have it 'right now'.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Here is a list of Warner movies not yet available on BD:

The Adventures Of Robin Hood (Warner)

Batman Begins (Warner)

Caddyshack (Warner)

Casablanca (Warner)

Charlie And The Chocolate Factory (Warner)

Constantine (Warner)

The Dirty Dozen (Warner)

The Dukes Of Hazzard (Warner)

Enter The Dragon (Warner)

Excalibur (Warner)

Forbidden Planet (Warner)

Grand Prix (Warner)

The Perfect Storm (Warner)

The Polar Express (Warner)

Poseidon (Warner)

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (Warner)

Troy (Warner)

V For Vendetta (Warner)

Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory (Warner)

You're telling me that all of these have interactive features? Warner is just playing favorites and they couldn't have made it any more obvious.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well originally Warner was HD DVD exclusive (before hardware actually was available), then they announced neutrality but clearly had a preference for HD DVD. Now most recently they have claimed complete neutrality, and thier latest actions do point to this happening with TotalHD, and also thier strategic delaying of some titles which are ready on HD DVD in order to achieve release parity with Blu-ray.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
my bro downloaded this movie to his computer...i gave up watching it after like 30 minutes into a movie...and this is free!! i think the majority of the ppl out there gave it a big fat F for this movie. just go to some movie website reviews.

what makes u think i care about this movie coming out on blu-ray or not.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboZX /forum/post/0

You're telling me that all of these have interactive features? Warner is just playing favorites and they couldn't have made it any more obvious.

Will you people quit complaining about Warner "playing favorites"! Blu-Ray has 4 studios playing favorites on it's side. Warner has always supported format nuetrality and is leading the way with THD. It does no good to whine and complain about Warner. They are doing the best they can with what they have. You know, Warner is in the business of making money. Mastering a release for Blu-Ray has to be cost effective for them. Until the PS3 it probably hasn't been, especially without free advanced authoring tools. So all you claiming Warner is not being fair to BD, unless you know all the factors involved just shut it.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I think the real crime is WB holding back on HD-DVD releases just so it can catch up to BLU-RAY.

It was lame to have to import Harry Potter on HD-DVD and see a completely astounding and finished product that would have sold a truck load had they released it in the States.

Sony must be pressuring them pretty well to hold out instant sales just so BLU-RAY can play catch up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
that's unbelievable that you want all and everything...definitely, that proves that Warner and UNiversal are owning list of titles most interesting on the market...just buy an hd dvd player then, the price really does not matter...if you don't want to, just keep quite and wait until your turn! war is war!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think holding the Harry Potter movies' release has more to do with the upcoming HP movie's releases in theatres than waiting for the Blu-Ray version. Just like Pirates, and Spidey are being held for release next to the theatrical release of the latest in those series', i dont see why Warner would not use the same strategy.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvedder /forum/post/0

I dont understand, they released Superman Returns on both formats the same day, but now they only released Poseidon on HD-dvd. There is no mention of a release date for Poseidon on Blu ray so i had to bite the bullet and buy the HD version. This sort of pisses me off, this is a fairly new release, why not put out both versions on the same day. They aren't supporting both formats equally in my mind untill they do (and not 6months to a year later for the blu ray version). Is this some sort of marketing ploy to get people who would prefer the bd verision to double dip?

The movie itself sucks, but if it were offered on both formats, I would still pick-up the HD DVD version over Blu-Ray. I own both but will continue to support HD DVD first and foremost. To each his own.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.