AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, when playing a dark game like Doom 3, FEAR, Dead Space....do you notice with Nvidia cards that when there are areas of strobe effects (flickering lights meant to disorient, or sparking light sources that cause the same kind of effect)....that instead of seeing the effect properly you get a sort of "corrupted" effect???


Like black-bars flashing across the screen?


Is this a problem with VSYNC in games? I play most of my games with VSYNC turned off, Dead Space is one I am going through now (yes, for the first time) and you almost need to turn Vsync off in order to make the game "feel" fast....enabling vsync seems to lock the game at 30fps and introduce significant lag into the controls.


Anyone else notice the effect I'm talking about? Its really kind of disappointing because it takes me out of the moment when I see this graphical "issue" happening..when I'm supposed to be seeing a strobe-like effect I'm seeing instead the effect but marred by this kind of...well...black bars.


Hard to describe. Its clearly not the effect the makers intended....I'm just wondering if its Vsync related or if I should turn on some setting in teh Nvidia control panel (Triple Buffering?)...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,766 Posts
What the hell are you doing running with v-sync off? Turn v-sync on, then you can come back and talk about rendering problems.


Running with v-sync off and then complaining about rendering issues is like rendering at 640x480 and then complaining that everything looks so blocky and blurry on your 1080p display. It's so ridiculous that it doesn't merit anything remotely approaching a serious response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/20887628


Guys, when playing a dark game like Doom 3, FEAR, Dead Space....do you notice with Nvidia cards that when there are areas of strobe effects (flickering lights meant to disorient, or sparking light sources that cause the same kind of effect)....that instead of seeing the effect properly you get a sort of "corrupted" effect???


Like black-bars flashing across the screen?

Just to clarify, you notice this with vsync on? I use vsync with every game and have used Nvidia cards for many years, and have not noticed anything of this effect.


However, drivers can sometimes exhibit odd graphical glitches with certain games that quickly get corrected in an upcoming driver release. Another possibility is a defective card, but that typically entails other obvious artifacts.


Now, with vsync off, things like flashing lights usually exacerbate the appearance of image tearing. That is just one reason of many as to why vsync is a must for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
FWIW, I get occasional total black outs that comes and goes with my TRI Xfire ATI cards with BFBC2, it also happens with dual cards, along with flickering at times. Never had probms with Nvidia. I hate ATI/AMD vid cards. I am waiting for the next gen Nvidia cards so I can dump the 5870s...shld have learned with the 48xx series cards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/20887654


What the hell are you doing running with v-sync off? Turn v-sync on, then you can come back and talk about rendering problems.


Running with v-sync off and then complaining about rendering issues is like rendering at 640x480 and then complaining that everything looks so blocky and blurry on your 1080p display. It's so ridiculous that it doesn't merit anything remotely approaching a serious response.

In the time it took you to write this helpful response to my question, you could have flushed your own head down the toilet. Anyways, I said: "Is this a problem with VSYNC in games?


I guess your answer could be interpreted as a "Yes".


Then I said:Dead Space is one I am going through now (yes, for the first time) and you almost need to turn Vsync off in order to make the game "feel" fast....enabling vsync seems to lock the game at 30fps and introduce significant lag into the controls.


eg: I have to run this game with VSYNC turned off, when you turn it on the games controls go screwy with both a mouse (unplayable) and Xbox controller due to the introduction of controller lag. Yes, I was also quite frustrated by this.


ps: Things don't look Blocky and Blurry running at 640x480, they look "Softer"....if you are going to go the insulting prick route, at least do it accurately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
I know you can fix the vsync 30fps issue with ds2.. I don't think I ever found a fix for ds.. I ended up playing ds on a console because using a gamepad was painful on pc. I actually played ds on a console first and thought **** this would be great on pc......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrheretic /forum/post/0


I know you can fix the vsync 30fps issue with ds2.. I don't think I ever found a fix for ds.. I ended up playing ds on a console because using a gamepad was painful on pc. I actually played ds on a console first and thought **** this would be great on pc......

You can use D3DOverrider to get vsync in DS1 without the FPS cap and control lag. The controls still suck because there's a large dead zone that isn't present on the console version. I had to use Xpadder to have the right stick emulate a mouse to make it feel remotely reasonable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg
You can use D3DOverrider to get vsync in DS1 without the FPS cap and control lag. The controls still suck because there's a large dead zone that isn't present on the console version. I had to use Xpadder to have the right stick emulate a mouse to make it feel remotely reasonable.
Thanks. Once I go through dxhr I will have to get ds working properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
I might have misread but are you referring to screen tearing? It's a black line that goes horizontally across the screen, you typically only have this with vsync off. It's caused by a framerate above what your monitor can support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tearing I am accustomed to, this is an effect unique to shadows and flickering light sources.....I'm going to do the "You should have done this first, dumbass" thing and turn on vsync in that area and see if the effect disappears or not. DS on my rig without vsync is clearly running at some absurdly high number......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch
Tearing I am accustomed to, this is an effect unique to shadows and flickering light sources.....I'm going to do the "You should have done this first, dumbass" thing and turn on vsync in that area and see if the effect disappears or not. DS on my rig without vsync is clearly running at some absurdly high number......
Well, let us know what happens with vsync on. Tearing can look awful when a card is rendering ridiculously high frame-rates.


When using vsync, some games are best with triple buffering so as to ensure a consistent frame-rate near 60fps with a 60Hz display, rather than an almost constant 30fps lock.


However, as another user mentioned, Direct3DOverrider is a must for some applications. Nvidia's triple buffering settings only work for OpenGL games, whereas Direct3DOverrider allows forced vsync and triple buffering for Direct3D games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch
In the time it took you to write this helpful response to my question, you could have flushed your own head down the toilet. Anyways, I said: "Is this a problem with VSYNC in games?


I guess your answer could be interpreted as a "Yes".


Then I said:Dead Space is one I am going through now (yes, for the first time) and you almost need to turn Vsync off in order to make the game "feel" fast....enabling vsync seems to lock the game at 30fps and introduce significant lag into the controls.


eg: I have to run this game with VSYNC turned off, when you turn it on the games controls go screwy with both a mouse (unplayable) and Xbox controller due to the introduction of controller lag. Yes, I was also quite frustrated by this.


ps: Things don't look Blocky and Blurry running at 640x480, they look "Softer"....if you are going to go the insulting prick route, at least do it accurately.
What you didn't like Ol' Jimmy's expert opinion? LOL


I never had that problem in DS when I played it. At the time I was using a 280gtx though. the V-sync on did make it almost unplayable though. I can't remember the fix but there is one out there that works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,757 Posts
Head, I've noticed this with many games and many different NVidia cards. Usually it appears in shadows that are not in my direct field of view, ie, near the peripheral areas in a widescreen game. It seems to be affected by viewing angle, for example rotate the camera slightly and certain shadows flicker on/off. I've just chalked it up to "normal," never really been worth the effort (to me) to try and diagnose what exactly causes it.


Totally unhelpful, I know, but at least you know you're not alone with this problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
I've noticed this. If you have BFBc2, the multi-player map with wind turbines that cast a shadow on the ground. Whenever I walked or drove a tank through one, I would get the flicker. A few driver updates fixed the issue, but it was annoying.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top