AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CSI is one of our favorite shows, but tonight, WCBS just disappeared. I checked during Survivor, and it was in the low 40s, not great but enough for a picture. So we settle in at 9 for CSI, and there's no picture and a signal reading of 28. This has happened before with WCBS even though, since 9/11, it has registered in the 70s. What gives?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what I've been seeing. WCBS last night (Friday) was around 60, this afternoon it's been in the 50s and right now (5:20 on Saturday) it's back up to about 60. So far so good. To put this in context, when I first got set up WCBS was always 30 points or so lower than WNYW and fluctuated more, sometimes disappearing entirely, which I could never understand since they both come from ESB. Then 9/11 came and WCBS jumped into the 70s. What a way to find out that I was getting multipath distortion from the WTC. But lately, like last Thursday night, the signal fluctuates and sometimes disappears just like before. So is this a Fairfield County thing, or was I right the first time, it's all just part of the conspiracy to keep me from seeing CSI?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bob,

Just curious. Maybe you'd know.

How far up to New Haven do you think you can still recieve HDTV CBS out of New York?

Do you know anyone up the coast pulling it in.

I'm in Clinton. I know that might be a pipe dream. But you never know?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveB99
How far up to New Haven do you think you can still recieve HDTV CBS out of New York?

I'm in Clinton.
Clinton is about 80 air miles from the Empire State Building. That is probably too far for good reception on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Since late last week, CBS signal has gone down to 70...with 76 being the highest (DTC-100). From late spring until now the signal was 82...sometimes as high as 88. I believe the leaves on a nearby tree actually increased the signal. Now that they are somewhat "crunched" it may be lowering the strength. Last winter, the 70-76 was about tops for me and the signal would vary more than it did during the summer months. I've also noticed that FOX signal strength has lowered for me to the same level as it was in the winter.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CJArciola, III
Since late last week, CBS signal has gone down to 70...with 76 being the highest (DTC-100). From late spring until now the signal was 82...sometimes as high as 88. I believe the leaves on a nearby tree actually increased the signal. Now that they are somewhat "crunched" it may be lowering the strength. Last winter, the 70-76 was about tops for me and the signal would vary more than it did during the summer months. I've also noticed that FOX signal strength has lowered for me to the same level as it was in the winter.
I don't think the leaves have much to do with it. I've also noticed that signal strenghth has decreased on the only two digital staions I now receive after the attack on the WTC. FOX-DT is not watchable and CBS-DT has good days & bad days here in Huntington, NY. Possibly, some power has been diverted to other stations now on Empire State Bldg. I will add an amp shortly to see if that helps.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Ok, I guess it's my turn now. I have been unable to get a lock on WCBS-DT for the last two days. The signal goes from 80 to 60 to 0 every few seconds, not long enough to lock. I doubt it's my tuner since FOX, WWOR, and WNYE are very stable with not even a glitch. I have a Dish 6000 with 8VSB OTA module.

I tried the Time Warner Cable 8VSB feed on channel 46 and it is stable enough to get a lock but with frequent breakups. What's going on, Bob?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Since I do not know very much about transmitter antennas, is it possible that a certain "lobe" of the antenna has problems which is affecting one area and not another? The only noticeable difference for me is that CBS is now at 76 when it was 82/88 all summer. Over the weekend, during the day only, it was at 70, but with no fluctuations at all. I have DTC-100.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.