AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am having problems with mkv playback. I am experiencing extreme pixelations and color issues all of the sudden. if i stop the video and restart is goes away for a little while.

I checked to see what was doing the decoding. graph studio says

"Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder" and ffdshow is the audio decoder.

why is ffdshow not doing the video decoding? how can i force it to? I dont know why these playback issues started, im wondering if it was a windows update or something, but its really annoying.

its seems to be with only h.264 decoding, i have dvd rips to mkv and they play fine.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
7MC for MKV looks for the decoder in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\DirectShow\\Preferr ed. Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder is the default H.264 decoder in that key (read my post DirectShow Decoders Used in WMP12/7MC ). You have to change it. Use Win7DSFilterTweaker for this purpose.

RC or RTM? Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder in RTM is noticeably better than that in RC.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RC.

I realize that sits built in now, and i that i was probably always using it, im just wondering why i i am having problems all of the sudden?

i tried changing video drivers. anyone else having a problem?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MPC does a nice job with the video, but i cant get 5.1 spdif passthrough and my remote doesn't work... any other external players?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
MPC HomeCinema (a standalone player) has a famous built-in H.264/VC-1 decoder, called "MPC Video Decoder" (file name: MPCVideoDec.ax) that supports DXVA. You can use this decoder with 7MC (or any other customizable DirectShow player). Download the stand-alone MPC HomeCinema filters (1230 is the latest SVN) . If your OS is 64-bit, make sure to use the 64-bit version (as 7MC in x64 is a 64-bit player). Then copy and paste MPCVideoDec.ax to a folder (say, C:\\Users\\\\AppData\\Local\\DirectShow Filters, or whatever). If you don't like command line, copy and paste the following to notepad and save it as "install.bat" in the same folder and double click it. Then you can use it with a DirectShow media player.

Code:
Code:
@%SystemRoot%\\System32\
egsvr32.exe MPCVideoDec.ax
(To unregister it, use

Code:
Code:
@%SystemRoot%\\System32\
egsvr32.exe -u MPCVideoDec.ax
)

Set it to the default H.264 decoder of Windows by using Win7DSFilterTweaker:

BTW you have to configure AC3 Decoder to get DD/DTS bitstreaming from MPC HomeCinema (the standalone player).

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will changing this decoder break my live tv playback?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/17023890

will changing this decoder break my live tv playback?

No. Win7DSFilterTweaker does not affect Live TV. (To use a different video decoder in Live TV, you have to tweak another registry key.) For details, read DirectShow Decoders Used in WMP12/7MC .

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very nice, thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts