AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sunfire subrosa in-wall subwoofer that is making some strange noises. This is a brand new unit and it was installed correctly exactly as described in the instructions. I've attached a video where you can hear this flapping sound as the sub goes through the amplifier's EQ process. The sound is even more noticeable in movies. Does this sound like a bad unit? This is actually my SECOND unit and the first one did the same thing. Sunfire exchanged it yet I'm still having issues.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At very very low volume it doesn't make that sound. But at that point, there is hardly any output either. In the video I'm running the sunfire amplifier's EQ tones using the recommended volume settings listed in the instructions.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is another video where you can hear the sound more clearly. The sound gets louder as the video progresses due to amplifier's EQ process.

·
Vendor
5,544 Posts
Eliminate the easy variables first.

1)you are 100% positive this noise is coming directly from the subwoofer drivers? It couldn't be something the system is attached too....a metal wall support vibrating like crazy for example? Tyr pressing on the wall around the subs, if the noise lowers in volume you may need to check the surrounding attachment points.

2)try a different amp. Any spare amp channel will work for a temporary test.

There is supposed to be an active "anit shake" feature in these subs. Can you verify that is working visually in any way?

Tom V.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tom, thanks for the suggestions.

I tried using a spare 300watt amp and the flapping sound was reduced, but not eliminated. It definitely sounds like its coming from somewhere within the subwoofer and not the wall. Planning on buying a stethoscope tomorrow to see if I can pin point the source. From what I can tell, it's coming from the center of the unit right between the two drivers. I believe this is where the anti-shake device is located. Unfortunately no way for me to visually check if its working unless I take the baffle/drivers out of the cabinet.

·
Vendor
5,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaggy  /t/1526126/whats-wrong-with-my-in-wall-sub-video-inside#post_24585901

tom, thanks for the suggestions.

I tried using a spare 300watt amp and the flapping sound was reduced, but not eliminated. It definitely sounds like its coming from somewhere within the subwoofer and not the wall. Planning on buying a stethoscope tomorrow to see if I can pin point the source. From what I can tell, it's coming from the center of the unit right between the two drivers. I believe this is where the anti-shake device is located. Unfortunately no way for me to visually check if its working unless I take the baffle/drivers out of the cabinet.

Before taking anything apart call sunfire and let them know whats-up. Make sure you get the name/position of the person you're speaking too and ask them if it would be okay if you popped out a driver for a quick visual inspection. You don't want to take any chances on a warranty claim being denied.

Total guess here but it sounds like something in that "ibeam" stabilization system isn't operating properly.

Here's an image from the patent fwiw.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/sunfire-subrosa-subwoofer-patent/image_view_fullscreen

I know 2 "bad" products in a row seems like a stretch...just tough to make the call based on the info in front of us.

Tom V.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts