AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought my Panasonic HDTV had the white streak problem (see this, if the link lets non-members in ).

Well, after moving the LD player to the bedroom, I see that it's the CLD-704 that has a problem. Bright objects on a dark background cast a shadow that is the same color as the object, to the right side of the screen. The scrolling text is one example, as are planets against a starscape.

This is VERY annoying and NEW to the player, which has been a loyal and trusty deck for many years. :(

Comments? Recommendations? I should also mention that for at least two years now the player has had that glitch where some discs will take about 2 to 3 minutes to stop turning, so that they can be ejected.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
I have noticed a similar effect on my CLD-79. Objects often cast a "shadow" towards the right. The effect is so small and barely noticable on my 32" CRT TV that it doesn't bother me. It's not consistent and I hardly notice unless I am looking for it or thinking about it. Perhaps it is due to the age of the player?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe, but it didn't have this problem before. It's REAL bad. So bad that watching LD's is now a chore.

Any LD owners here have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Of course you have eliminated the display as faulty? I'd go through a complete trouble shooting including trying different cables etc. Try your LD player on different sets and try different LD players on your sets too. Not sure what else to do. The effect you talk about is similar to what I notice, but as far as I'm concerned, its only a fluke I even noticed it at all. Its not bad enough to annoy me and I don't notice it very often.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not my set. It is not the cables. it's not the discs. It is the player. It has, all at once, developed this problem. It can be seen on any TV with any title using any cables.

It was not like this before. :(

·
Registered
15,017 Posts
I haven't been able to find any hardware specs on the cld-704 on the Web. Can it freeze-frame CLV discs? In other words, does it have a field or frame digital memory?

Your description of the problem is consistant with a driver failing on the high-order memory address line, so that image data is written into it in two locations.

Unfortunately, you'll either have to get it repaired or get a replacement. The only LD player still in production seems to be the DVL-919. Of course, there are many high quality LD players available on the used market. Fanatics seem to be importing MUSE players from Japan. Apparently they produce extremely good video from standard LDs, too.

You have my sympathy: I got a DVL-919 to replace an ancient LD-700. It's video output is not as good as I would like.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Wow. Sounds complicated and crappy to have that problem. My CLD-79 has a problem that it refuses to output the DTS signal until I play either a digital stereo or AC3 disc. Not the end of the world as I don't have piles of DTS discs, but kinda a bummer just the same. If I were you, I'd search long and hard for a 704 thats busted, like transport busted and graft parts from it until the problem goes away. Worth looking for a broken player somewhere. You never know, you may find one somewhere and it beats paying for another entire unit, even of you want to upgrade, you don't want your current player to be relagated to uselessness and worthlessness in terms of your investment etc.

Good luck in trying to fix it.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it can freeze frame CLV LD's. It's the top of the line non-Elite and the best non-Elite they ever made. Only cost me $325 many moons ago.

Do you think I should call Pioneer about the problem and ask for an estimate or their opinion? I wonder how expensive it would be to fix.

:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.