AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to replace this one, but I'm still curious as to what the problem is that my sub is experiencing. It's an eight year old JBL PSW-D115 15" unit that has served me well enough until recently.

In the last month or so, during some scenes, my sub exhibits a sequence of popping noises, almost like popcorn popping, but muddier.

I thought I must have blown something. But, it doesn't do it all the time and it can still get pretty loud. So, now I'm not sure if my sub really is damaged, or if this if it's something else. Reading on these threads, I see talk about a "klack klack" sound from subs bottoming out. Yet, even though I've driven the sub pretty hard through it's life, it's only been recently that I've come across this sound. It seems like I would have done it before now if this were the case.

I'm probably going to replace it and I'll likely splurge on the pb13 ultra. The room that I have is terrible space as it is very open with virutally no usuable corners. The sub needs to largely stand on it's own, which is one of the reasons that I went with the 15" JBL way back when.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
What films have you been playing on this sub for this “popping” (close to bottoming out) for you, to post this issue?

I’d just add another JBL PSW-D115 but at eight years old you’d be lucky to find that there are still a few more of them around brand new in the box. Adding another will strengthen the front by (+3db when placed side by side)

then I’d cut the level back by -3db as you’ll have twice the cone width area and the extra low end extension for the LFE.1 track, providing of course of your using it for that role, stuffing LCRS on top the LFE.1 doesn’t really do it any favours. Unless you use a sub per screen channel and one or two for the surround signal output to maximum performance level.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Looking for pdf file on this model is like looking for a needle in haystack. I see that the specification on that Amazon site has shows.

15-inch powered subwoofer

350-watt class D digital amplifier

Line and high-level speaker inputs and outputs

25 to 180 Hz frequency response

Variable high- and low-pass filters

Not a bad JBL sub I’d get another I, mean if you had it for 8 years, which is only two years shy of owning my diy 18” JBL cinema size sub. Look under Google more and look for Google Product search has I fear Amazon might not be cheap enough, providing of course you what another JBL sub and that someone can still supply that model.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, has it happens, I just watched Wall-E on Blu-Ray with the DTS-HD Master Audio sound track and it popped on my in a couple of places.

1. When the rocket blasts off to take EVE away with the plant and WALL-E hangs on. It pops heavily when the rockets are first firing.

2. Near the end, when the Axiom returns to Earth, it fires rocket engines as it is coming back to the port and the sub again has a series of pops.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
At 8 years old maybe you've just gotten the good out of it, and now it's time for a new one. If I were you, I would stick to your idea of the PB13 Ultra. You'll be hard pressed to find a better sub for the cost. I'd probably buy one if I had the money for it.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_ed /forum/post/15434028

Well, has it happens, I just watched Wall-E on Blu-Ray with the DTS-HD Master Audio sound track and it popped on my in a couple of places.

1. When the rocket blasts off to take EVE away with the plant and WALL-E hangs on. It pops heavily when the rockets are first firing.

2. Near the end, when the Axiom returns to Earth, it fires rocket engines as it is coming back to the port and the sub again has a series of pops.

Have you tried turning down the volume on the sub on the AVR by a few – minus db that might be the answer, that’s what I’d do if I had an issue, if. It’s possible the range on the soundtrack is peaking quite high, I’m still yet to buy this on DVD might think about buying it next week.

Oh, there is just one other thing thou. Do you send LCRS to the sub?

Where about is the sub placed in the room in relation to the seating area how many feet away?

I think you need a cinema pro like a JBL 4645C now this is what Wall•E would have been played on at the Empire Leicester Square via x16 subs stacked behind the screen in the THX baffle wall•THX!
This will play low and loud with cinematic realism.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.