AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to figure out what's wrong with my speakers for a while. My tweeters make noise but they are not very loud. My loudspeakers have good detail but at times I cover the tweeter with my hand and there is little difference. I have an Energy Veritas center and I hooked it up as the left speaker and the tweeter is very loud compared to my Energy RC's. When I cover the tweeter on the Verita there is an audible difference. Is this because the Verita's are a little brighter? Everything I have read that the tweeter on the Verita's is only supposed to be slightly brighter.

Also, I have read that tweeters either die completely or make a horrible noise. This leaves me wondering what can the problem be since both RC's tweeters make little noise but are not dead or making a horrible noise?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Two thoughts...

The Veritas centers are MTMs, which have audible issues (known as lobing) when laid sideways. One way to get around it is to cross very low to the tweeter. the lower you cross to a tweeter, the louder it sounds.

You don't mention which RC's you have, bookshelf TM of tower TMWW. The former should have a tweeter level similar to the CC. The tower tweeter isn't working as hard, crosses much higher I'll wager, and so should be softer.

I'll also note that hearing loss is a real phenomenon, and it starts with high frequencies. Be it age-related or occupation-related, it will exacerbate the XO frequency effect.

Of course, you could have a bad driver. If you have a meter, remove the driver and measure its DC resistance. Then look at the XO for any damaged or loose componoents. Isolated drivers had DC resistance that's equal or a little less than rated impedence, say 3.5 ohms for a 4 ohm speaker, but you have to disconnect the XO. Open or shorted are the "bad" results.

The other "bad" thing is what if the tweeter's shot? I have no idea where to get a replacement!

HAve fun,

Frank

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I think the Veritas tweeters are brighter and more resolving than the RC's.

Try checking your tweeters by removing the biwire connectors and just hooking the tweeters up direct. Just don't over crank them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the RC-70's with a V-5.2-C. From everything I have read the newer Veritas are nothing but an refined RC. I think you may have a point about the RC's being crossed over higher which may be why the tweeters are definitely working but seem to put out 1/3 of the sound as the Veritas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts