AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good DVD player and it seems everyone loved the RP-82 , but looking at the RP-62 it has the Sage/DCDi chip with chroma fix as well. So I was wondering what does the RP-82 have that makes it way better than the RP-62. I can get an RP-62 on ebay for$50 to $75 right now. It looks like the ultimate steal I was just wondering what am I missing regarding the RP-62. thanks David. If this DVD player has as good a Video signal as the RP-82 , I'm geting one today.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK I found out the earlier model with an A in the serial # had the sage/DCDi but the models with a B in the serial # don't have it. It looks like the A model was silver and the B model was black. Can anyone confirm this. Thanks David

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The RP-62 has some design problems because it is more cheaply made. The RP-62 has a color flicker problem (CSS on) which is a flicker at the top and bottom edges of saturated color areas, the RP82,etc models don't have that problem. The RP-62 has a softer picture due to lower high frequency response and has reliability problems too. Many have reported that due to a cheaper motor being used, it fails after only 7-8 months of use. So there is a reason the RP-62 is cheaper priced. Go for one of the good models like those that are the successor to the RP82 like the XP30 - its available brand new from Abe's in MAine or used/new on EBAY. You can't go wrong with the XP30 or XP50 models, or the Denon DVD-1600 (same basic design).

As far as the "A" and "B" serial numbers in the RP62, no - its not related to the color of the cabinet. There are black and silver colored version of both. The older RP62's (before about Oct 2002) were Faroudja-based, later than than and they switched to an inferior de-interlacer.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I would not go as far as saying RP82 is better build than RP62. They use the same DVD loader but has different MPEG decoding chip. RP82 has the better MPEG decoder so image is slightly better and supports DVD-Audio. CSS is true about RP62 but most can't see the red flicker even if pointed out to them. In other words, if you don't know what CSS look like you won't notice it. The problem of buying RP62 on Epay is you don't know if it'll be the A or B version of the player. Color has nothing to do with DCDi or not. RP62K is the black version. RP82 however absolutely has DCDi. If you have a digital display, DCDi helps but an external scaler or HTPC will help much more. My RP62 (DCDi inside when I opened it up and checked) is being used in 480i mode (DCDi not being used at all) to feed my AVT-3700 (external scaler) to output 720p into my XGA DLP PJ (NEC LT150 which has a crappy builtin scaler).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.