AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on this forum that a lot of people don't like the HF85s because they are outsourced but is the PQ worse than the 84s?

Will the 85 quickly crap out on me because it is outsourced?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Not at all...

I just got one two weeks ago and Im very glad with it... nice picture quality on regular cable and amazing one with components (DVD) this model is still build in USA... as for the outsource part, I trust Toshiba...

sorry for my poor English (French Canadian)

bye

Sim

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilite
I read on this forum that a lot of people don't like the HF85s because they are outsourced but is the PQ worse than the 84s?
Yes, usually, but not all the time.

Quote:
Will the 85 quickly crap out on me because it is outsourced?
Well, not really. Just wait for the one with the latest built date, and then you may get a really well-made set. The "Made in Thailand" ones have more quality issues than the "Assembled in USA" ones.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Why are the HF84 so much more expensive than the HF85?
They aren't being outsourced to cheap labor..

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Why are the HF84 so much more expensive than the HF85?
Every TV manufacturer, including Toshiba, lowered their MSRPs across the board on their 2005 models. Plasma, tubes, RPTVs, everything is lower this year than it was last year. And many manufacterers are going to drop MSRPs again soon (Panasonic, Sony, maybe others).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
I read on this forum that a lot of people don't like the HF85s because they are outsourced
No you didn't. You read on this forum that a few people are scared of them because they are outsourced. It's all conjecture at this point. Pay attention to the posters.

I like mine.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdickinson
No you didn't. You read on this forum that a few people are scared of them because they are outsourced. It's all conjecture at this point. Pay attention to the posters.

I like mine.
Most people are scared because they know that Orion is a generic, off-brand company that is usually found in discount stores, like Wal-Mart. The Orion TVs sold for dirt cheap at Wal-Mart a few years ago. I still remember last year at Christmas that you could get a new 27" Orion TV for only $179.99. There was a buyer who asked me if this is a very good TV. I said "yes" and told her that it's made by Toshiba. Then, she said "thanks" to me and bought one. I knew that I lied to her saying that it's made by Toshiba, but Toshiba TVs are made by Orion anyway, so what's the difference between Orion and Toshiba in terms of quality.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:

I like mine.
Most people are scared because they know that Orion is a generic, off-brand company that is usually found in discount stores, like Wal-Mart. The Orion TVs sold for dirt-cheap at Wal-Mart a few years ago. I still remember last year at Christmas that you could get a new 27" Orion TV for only $179.99. There was a buyer who asked me if this is a very good TV. I said "yes" and told her that it's made by Toshiba. Then, she said "thanks" to me and bought one. I know that I lied to her saying that it's made by Toshiba, but Toshiba TVs are made by Orion anyway, so what's the difference between Orion and Toshiba in terms of quality. Whoever buys a Orion TV is actually getting Toshiba quality, that's what I believe.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:

I like mine.
Most people are scared because they know that Orion is a generic, off-brand company that is usually found in discount stores, like Wal-Mart. The Orion TVs sold for dirt-cheap at Wal-Mart a few years ago. I still remember last year at Christmas that you could get a new 27" Orion TV for only $179.99. There was a buyer who asked me if this is a very good TV. I said "yes" and told her that it's made by Toshiba. Then, she said "thanks" to me and bought one. I know that I lied to her saying that it's made by Toshiba, but Toshiba TVs are made by Orion anyway, so what's the difference between Orion and Toshiba in terms of quality. Whoever buys a Orion TV is actually getting Toshiba quality, that's what I believe.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:

I like mine.
Most people are scared because they know that Orion is a generic, off-brand company that is usually found in discount stores, like Wal-Mart. The Orion TVs sold for dirt-cheap at Wal-Mart a few years ago. I still remember at last December that you could get a new 27" Orion TV for only $169.99. There was a buyer who asked me if this is a very good TV. I said "yes" and kindly told her that it's made by Toshiba. Then, she said "thanks" to me and immediately bought one. I know that I lied to her saying that it's made by Toshiba, but Toshiba TVs are made by Orion anyway, so what's the difference between Orion and Toshiba in terms of quality. Whoever buys a Orion TV is actually getting Toshiba quality, that's what I believe.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan
Most people are scared because they know that Orion is a generic, off-brand company that is usually found in discount stores, like Wal-Mart. The Orion TVs sold for dirt-cheap at Wal-Mart a few years ago. I still remember at last December that you could get a new 27" Orion TV for only $169.99. There was a buyer who asked me if this is a very good TV. I said "yes" and kindly told her that it's made by Toshiba. Then, she said "thanks" to me and immediately bought one. I know that I lied to her saying that it's made by Toshiba, but Toshiba TVs are made by Orion anyway, so what's the difference between Orion and Toshiba in terms of quality. Whoever buys a Orion TV is actually getting Toshiba quality, that's what I believe.
So Orion must live up to Toshiba's standards & put in features of past Toshiba CRTS?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am well aware of who and what Orion is. My point was that the only negative thing anyone has been able to say about these sets so far is that some parts of them are outsourced. I think the act of jumping up and down crying foul because a company outsources is about 10 years too late.

Has there even been an industry review of these things yet?

It is conjecture.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
last years 30HF84 was outsourced

when I was looking to buy a TV, I read the Amazon buyers thread here about it

the TV seemed to have very common issues with its component input

and one persons started smoking !!!

that not conjecture

I decided to stay away from both the HF an HFX after such

·
Registered
3 Posts
It certainly isn't conclusive data.

I really didn't jump into this to argue with you guys, but come on... these are internet forums. People post when they have problems much more often that just to say how great something is. The disparity is exagerated by readers focusing on the problem posts more quickly than the wonderful-product posts. What percentage of Toshiba TV's had the problem? What other factors were involved in the smoking incident? Fire hazaards are pretty serious things. I doubt any products by any manufacturer have gone to market and lived a full lifespan with zero reported defects.

Using a few posts from random on the internet to conclude "Toshiba+Orion == suck" is the very definition of conjecture.

A quick spin with "sony component problems" in groups.google returns a staggering 19k posts!!!!!!!!!! "toshiba component problems" only gets me 7k. Therefore I conclude that you are in fact 2.72 times more likely to have problems with Sony components than Toshiba. See? Conjecture. :)

But we all get opinions, right?

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
It certainly isn't conclusive data.

I really didn't jump into this to argue with you guys, but come on... these are internet forums. People post when they have problems much more often that just to say how great something is. The disparity is exagerated by readers focusing on the problem posts more quickly than the wonderful-product posts. What percentage of Toshiba TV's had the problem? What other factors were involved in the smoking incident? Fire hazaards are pretty serious things. I doubt any products by any manufacturer have gone to market and lived a full lifespan with zero reported defects.

Using a few posts from random on the internet to conclude "Toshiba+Orion == suck" is the very definition of conjecture.

A quick spin with "sony component problems" in groups.google returns a staggering 19k posts!!!!!!!!!! "toshiba component problems" only gets me 7k. Therefore I conclude that you are in fact 2.72 times more likely to have problems with Sony components than Toshiba. See? Conjecture. :)

But we all get opinions, right?
You have not realized that there are more Sony buyers than Toshiba.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
So Orion must live up to Toshiba's standards & put in features of past Toshiba CRTS?
Oh yes, definitely. But you're not interested in the Toshiba 85 series anyway.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
I did not know that the Toshiba 30HF84 was outsourced when reading the thread

I only knew that it seemed to be quite frequent to have issues with component input and that one person's TV started smoking

thats too much, I read about the PSU issue with the XBRs, but thats not near as bad as a smoking TV

I later learned they were outsourced and only could think wow, no wonder those TVs sucked

·
Registered
226 Posts
Is it just the 34" that's assembled in the U.S.? What about the 30HF85? Or the 30HFX95?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.